Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

protection that is up to date & low memory usage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Anti-malware/anti-spyware recommendations for a laptop running Windows 7 SP1 and a tower PC running XP SP3? I'm already using Microsoft Security Essentials on the laptop and Avast! on the tower and the built in firewall for both, so that is covered. I need the most up date freeware that doesn't hog memory, thanks.

Edited by bitesized1612, 07 November 2012 - 02:10 PM.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

I ditched Avast last month and have been relying solely on MS Security Essentials for real-time protection for both my desktops (XPsp3 and 7sp1) along with the built-in firewall in both cases (I'm behind a NAT router anyway.) So far, no issues. I also keep Malwarebytes Antimalware installed and updated for on-demand second opinions.

Edited by Andrew, 07 November 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

I ditched Avast last month and have been relying solely on MS Security Essentials for real-time protection for both my desktops (XPsp3 and 7sp1) along with the built-in firewall in both cases (I'm behind a NAT router anyway.) So far, no issues. I also keep Malwarebytes Antimalware installed and updated for on-demand second opinions.

Exactly the same (XP and W7), and it has caught the one or 2 nasties that try to get in - But I also have SUPEAntiSpyware for any clean-up help -
MSE tells me if it needs updating by turning Orange if I don't turn on for a few days -

#4 bitesized1612

bitesized1612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#5 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

The lightest multilayered setup that I know with different apps and features:
- Look'n'Stop firewall
- Mamutu behavioral blocker
- Webroot SecureAnywhere AV
All that use less then 10 MB RAM and no freezes even on laptop with 0,9 GB RAM and CPU 1,6 MHz. On demand: EEK, MBAM and light virtualisation like Shadow Defender, Wondershare Time Freeze, Returnil etc.

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#6 Alex-C

Alex-C

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Anti-malware/anti-spyware recommendations for a laptop running Windows 7 SP1 and a tower PC running XP SP3? I'm already using Microsoft Security Essentials on the laptop and Avast! on the tower and the built in firewall for both, so that is covered. I need the most up date freeware that doesn't hog memory, thanks.

Sandboxie is light and a nice addiction to create a layered setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users