Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME blue screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tierra

tierra

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hello all! I have a Toshiba Satelite laptop with Windows 7 (originally Windows Vista, more info on that below). It has not been working for months. Earlier this year, I had problems with it freezing up immediately after starting up and logging in. I posted a topic a while back in the Virus removal forum and it was found that my startup and freezing problems were not malware related.

I then tried "fixing" the computer myself by burning Windows 7 onto a blank CD and installing the OS on my laptop. But that did little to resolve my problems; the computer STILL froze up after I logged in. Now, the computer will not start at all, even in safemode! When I try to start the computer up normally, I see the splash screen and then right after that a blue screen appears for such a short amount of time that I don't even have time to read it although I did see "UNMOVABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"

I did a search for this specific error and the articles I found said the first step is to put the windows recovery disk inside the computer. Well, I have found the Windows vista recovery disks and I put the first one in, but then nothing happens! When I start the computer with the CD in it says,"Windows is loading files . . .," then, it shows the splash screen, and then nothing happens! It's just a black screen with the cursor over it. (And yes, I did go into BIOS and the CD drive is listed as #1)

Please help me fix my computer once and for all! :)

(PS: I am currently on my phone and I do not have access to another computer.)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 November 2012 - 09:08 AM.
corrected topic title

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

What model Satellite, please?

Louis

#3 tierra

tierra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Satellite A305-S6905

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Hi Tierra

A couple of questions :)

Could the error be UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME ?

Have you tried pressing F11 when you first turn it on to see if it has a built in factory restore option (it will delete your data if you do use it)?

James

EDIT: Just found this for your model. Might work instead of f11...
1. Turn off your computer.

2. While holding down 0 (zero) key on the keyboard, turn on your computer.

3. A menu appears. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Edited by James Litten, 07 November 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#5 tierra

tierra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

Yes, UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME is what it the error is! I realized it right after making my topic and I cannot edit my topic from my phone... :(

I have tried pressing both 0 and F11 when the computer turns on but once again it shows "Windows is loading files..." then the splash screen, then just a black screen with the cursor... No menu appeared

#6 tierra

tierra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Okay, I no longer get the error anymore I guess I was successful in deleting all my data. But when I put the recovery disk in, still nothing happens. :( I guess that means there's something wrong with the disk?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users