Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

microsoft

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ashley25

ashley25

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

is there a way to get microsoft word for free, i am a college student and cant aford to buy microsoft word but i need it to do my college work :(

Edited by hamluis, 07 November 2012 - 01:16 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

No. Microsoft does offer discount pricing for the student addition (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/cat/ThemeID.27509700/categoryID.37826100)

Edited by Allan, 07 November 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#3 OSO ROJO

OSO ROJO

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

You can't get MS Office for free .. HOWEVER .. you can check out OpenOffice (a free version of MS Office that is open source and has lots of plug-ins to make things easier) .. it is capable of opening and saving MS Office Files (except it will not be able to save in the newer .***x file formats [so .docx being a word file]) but it is free and a good piece of software actually. I can't post the link as I am at work right now and not able to go and get the link .. but Google OpenOffice and you will find it.

Hope this helps

:busy:

#4 ashley25

ashley25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

thanks for the help, ill differently look into open office :)

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

If you want FREE and that can handle MS Word compatible files, you have some choices:

• Abiword
  • Jarte
  • Kingsoft Office Word-processor

If you want a commercial product, $50, there is Corel Office with its included word-processor. Much less expensive than MS Office.

#6 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

is there a way to get microsoft word for free, i am a college student and cant aford to buy microsoft word but i need it to do my college work :(

Does the program you want NEED to be like Microsoft WORD? Windows operating system comes with (unless this has changed) Microsoft Works, which includes a word-processor. It ordinarily saves in "WPS" format, but you can choose DOC or DOCX during your Save As... task. I'm not sure if it will open a DOXC file type; maybe it can into compatability mode. You would/could try right-click a file, choose Open With..., and choose MS Works Word Processor.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Windows operating system comes with (unless this has changed) Microsoft Works

MS Works is not supplied as part of Windows. WIndows has included the small word processor WordPad, which is MS Word compatible, but recent versions do not save true .DOC format, but use .RTF.

One possiblity for OS versions from Vista is the free advertizing-driven Microsoft Office Starter. A downloader/installer obtains the necessary files from Microsoft:

http://downloads.pcauthority.com.au/article/26083-microsoft_office_starter

Another equivalent I have used is Softmaker Office Free:

http://www.softmakeroffice.com/

It lacks .DOCX, but if only reading of .DOCX is required then a viewer pack may suffice, either MS or Softmaker's own:

http://www.officeviewers.com/

Disclaimer: I do not recommend that any bundled offers accompanying free software be accepted, unless you specifically wish to do so.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 OSO ROJO

OSO ROJO

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

thanks for the help, ill differently look into open office :)

You are most welcome :busy:

#9 ashley25

ashley25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

sry i know this has nothing to do with microsoft but is there a better internet browser out there, i tryed google chrome and that frezzes on me and now im useing fire fox and that frezzes 2

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Could you be a little more specific about what occurs when your browser freezes? e.g. after long delay cannot display the website, or locks up & Task Manager says the application is not responding...?

If several browsers display the same symptom, it's likely another browser will have the same problem. You might have malware on your system, or your internet connection or wireless LAN may have problems. With some more information, we should be able to suggest which forum to seek assistance in.

#11 ashley25

ashley25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

there a long delay and then is says the flash player has crashed, it says that ever 20 mins or so

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

In that case I guess it's a toss-up between suspecting malware or Flash being corrupted. Since it happens frequently, I'd suggest carefully noting any error messages in full and any pattern to what you're doing when it happens. Then start a topic giving this information in either Internet Applications for Flash or Am I Infected for help checking for malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users