Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating after Heatsink upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ecnepsnai

ecnepsnai

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

Hi there.

I just recently replaced the stock heatsink that came with the AMD FX-8150 with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and have been having a lot of issues with my computer ever since.

I first noticed the problem when I was playing Skyrim, the computer just shut off after an hour of gameplay. I tried again and it happened even faster. So I tried a prime95 test to see if it was overheating and yep, it sure was.

A large FFT test caused my computer to exceed the TJ Max (90c) within 10 minutes. So I double checked my installation and noticed I messed up the x-bracket. So I removed and applied some new thermal compound and fixed the bracket. But now it overheats in under 3 minutes! I don't know if I applied too much compound or I sill messed up my installation. Here is a picture of the CPU with the compound I applied: Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

I found this install vid. All I can add is to make sure everything is clean, I use acetone, some use alcohol. Great cooler but I can understand it is a minor pain to install it on an AMD system.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

You want the minimum amount of thermal compound you can use. What I usually use is about the size of a BB and then spread it out evenly with an old cut up credit card or something similar. That being said it is possible the heatsink itself is defective. The heatpipes may have lost their vacuum or cooling fluid if they have the smallest puncture or a bad seal.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 CaoJedi

CaoJedi

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Is the heatsink loose at all? Along with everything Baltboy said, have you ran this with the case open, maybe the fan is shutting down on the heatsink? I want to stress the thermal compound statement one more time, use as little as possible to cover the area. To much compound is like not using any.

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users