Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer having various errors

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drunkardonfire

Drunkardonfire

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hello!

For the past 2 weeks I have been unable to game on my computer due to BSODs which happen anywhere between 1 minute and 1.5 hours of gaming. Sometimes, I can game fine up until I decide to test the waters and turn on Pandora. When I do, The sound loops (so rapidly it's practically a buzz), the computer freezes, and then the BSOD appears. The messages on the BSOD have varied. Sometimes it is "KERNEL_INPAGE_DATA_ERROR" other times, "KERNEL_DATA_ERROR", and sometimes those two don't show up but it is some other error. I should also mention that there are times when the computer doesn't even BSOD at all but instead isn't able to load certain textures in a game I am playing, eventually resulting in a game freeze. But when I Ctrl+alt+del, I receive an error message "Unable to display security and shutdown options." and my entire taskbar and sidebar are completely gone. I then try to double-click the Chrome browser and the message is something to the effect of "this file has moved, would you like to delete this shortcut?" (I'm a little shoddy on that message though so I don't know the exact wordage). This all seems to have begun a couple months ago when my computer would sometimes BSOD when shutting down or going into sleep mode due to idling. It didn't happen very often, and, to be honest, I procrastinated on fixing the issue. Now the problems have gotten much worse, but the weird thing is, the BSODs don't happen on shut down anymore, though I have had a couple shut-down freezes where the computer would be stuck on the "shutting down" screen with the little circle spinning eternally.

I have run a full scan of MalwareBytes twice, and 2 full scans with AVG and 1 full scan with Norton Antivirus (I uninstalled AVG and installed a partition of Norton 360 from my mother). Each scan found nothing, except for the first Malwarebytes one which only found 3 issues, nothing major though.

I installed HijackThis and recorded a log. My computer comes up with a "Physical Memory Dump FAILED" message each time so BSOD logs don't seem to work. (The last WhoCrashed log is from september, and that was a shutdown BSOD) I don't really know how to properly log BSOD's though so if you need that information I will work on learning how to do that. I cannot run chkdsk as when I reboot (after it schedules the scan) the scan is immediately cancelled without me pressing anything and without any form of countdown. When I try to run chkstfs, I get no confirmation messages for any functions, and /r, /p are not recognized. And yes, I run everything in admin.

Before I post the log I will run down the list of potentially eliminated possibilities:

Overheating: my computer runs at 28C.

Hardware issue: I ran HD Tune Pro, and did a full scan, there were no errors. I do not believe there is a videocard error as I can watch movies, netflix, and youtube all day with no problems.

sfc /scannow came up with 0 errors/issues.

This is my current comp spec:

Intel i5-2500k CPU @ 3.30 GHz

Nvidia GEforce GTX 570

Gigabyte Motherboard: Z68A-D3-B3

8GB RAM

DirectX 11

Windows 7 64bit

Seagrams 1TB HD

Anyway, here's the HijackThis log - Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to review this.
Mod Edit: HJT log removed, not used/allowed in this forum, see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-167/announcement-45-no-dds-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/ - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 07 November 2012 - 07:28 AM.
Removed malware log - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I have reopened the topic as AustrAlien would like to assist you here. Please be patient, and good luck! :)

bloopie

Edited by bloopie, 13 November 2012 - 05:56 PM.
Reopened Topic

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

The information that you have posted seems to indicate a possible problem with the hard drive. I had a look at the minidump that you already provided, but I would like the chance to examine some more of them to arrive a better diagnosis.

Please zip up the minidumps and attach the resultant zip file to your next reply so I can have a closer look. There's a chance I might get some more useful info from them.
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump <<< folder
  • Click on the first minidump file to select it.
  • Hold down the <Shift> key, and click on the last minidump file to select all of the files.
  • Release the <Shift> key.
  • Now, right-click on any one of the selected files > Send to ... > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    The zip file will be located in the same place (the Minidump folder).
  • Attach the zip file to your next reply.
    When you click on Add Reply, you will see the facility to attach a file just below the box where you type your message.
Note: If there are a lot of minidumps, the zipped file may exceed the attachment limit of 512kb, so limit the number of minidumps that you zip up to the most recent 10 or 12.

Let's have a closer look at the condition of the hard drive.

How to obtain hard drive S.M.A.R.T. data on a Windows system and then paste the report into a forum post
  • Download the GSmartControl installer application:
    • Go to the GSmartControl - Downloads page.
    • Scroll part way down the page to where the current version available for download will be displayed.
      Posted Image
    • Click on the link to download the installer file to your computer.
      (There may be a mirror link there also which will enable you download the file if the main download link does not work for some reason.)
  • Double-click the downloaded application to run it and install GSmartControl on the computer.
    Note: Vista/Win7 users, right-click > Run as Administrator
  • When installation is complete, run GSmartControl:
    • Start GSmartControl from the Start > Programs menu.
  • When the interface has loaded and scanning for hard drives is complete, click on the hard drive icon to select the device.
  • Go to Device on the top menu > View Details, and a new Device Information window will open.
  • Click on the Attributes tab to display the S.M.A.R.T data values.
  • Near the bottom of the window, click on View Output and a new Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click anywhere inside that window > Select All.
  • Again right-click in that selected area > Copy.
  • Now paste that in a reply to your topic.
    Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved (to make it easier for all to read).
    • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
      You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
    • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.

Edited by AustrAlien, 13 November 2012 - 06:06 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Received via PM:

The minidump I provided is the only one I had; my computer was having issues saving dump files. I moved my vital documents, and tried to reinstall Windows - it still crashed. then I reformatted and installed Windows again but it still crashed when I tried playing Minecraft with KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR BSOD. I had suspicions it was the HD but having you look at the minidump and say that it seems to be a HD error seems to point to the same conclusion. I will be purchasing a new HD and trying that out and I will get back to you on whether that has fixed the issue or not. Thank you so much for your time in this, you and the other mod which helped me have been invaluable in this quest. Again I will get back to you on whether or not this issue has been resolved.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:15 AM

Received via PM:

... the reformatting did the job, all is well now. Thank you so much for all your help - I'll definitely recommend this site to my friends!

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users