Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Mobo?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:57 PM

I was thinking about getting a new graphics card. The mobo I currently have has only AGP slots on it. Should I upgrade my mobo to keep up with the new PCI-E cards or am I good staying with my AGP board?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:46 PM

wut kinda chip r u using? wut slot? etc..

wut kinda chip r u using? wut slot? etc..
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#3 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:19 PM

I have this:

http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=14412.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:37 AM

If that's what you have, what AGP card do you have and what do you intend to get?

Which Athlon 64 do you have and do you plan to upgrade when you upgrade the mb? How about the CPU fan - you going to upgrade that too? Or liquid cooling?

What power supply did you put in it, and what kind and how much RAM?

If you are going to replace the mb, how about the processor too? You going to go to an FX?

What kind of performance are you looking for, and how much money do you have available to pay for it?

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 March 2006 - 12:41 AM.

#5 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

Don't know what card I'm getting. Just gonna get a new one. Probably a GeForce 6600 or 6800.

I have a 3000+ Athlon and I don't want to upgrade if it really isn't necessary. Is an AGP card as good as a PCI-E card and will they keep making AGP cards for awhile?

I have a 500W power supply and a gig of RAM.

Don't wanna replace anything if I don't have to.

Looking to be able to play the newest games at an average level. I really don't have too much money. Maybe $150-$250.

#6 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

PCI-E is faster, but AGP isn't out of the running, yet. I have the 6800GT, and It can play the games of its day at max graphics, so it should handle today's games decently. The CPU, PSU, and RAM seem good to me, though I haven't played the newest games yet (your rig is suprisingly similar to mine, so I'm judging by what mine can do).

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#7 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

PCI-Express video cards are not necessarily better >>>> if you compare two comparably priced cards of the same spec >>> they will be so closed to tied in performance it wont be funny. PCI-express cards are cheaper to manufacture and they seem to have been well received by the public end users >>> probally because most guy think the newer spec is better LOL Make no mistake the AGP will die off but not the awhile yet >>>>> get the best card you can for the budget you are looking to spend & I would not overlook buying a used video card from a gamer (ebay) upgrading his video card >>>> I know many gaming dudes that upgrade atleast one per year >>>> they will buy a gfx card that cost $400.00 and struggle to get $200.00 for it a year later !! thats a good bargain for me !! as long as you use a credit card you have protection from bad deals (credit card charge back)

enjoy

Edited by linderman, 22 March 2006 - 07:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users