Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Typical HP wiring/jumper locations

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rich Kelly

Rich Kelly

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Hello fellow members. Been a while since I have visited or posted here but, here is my issue ... Before we got this computer, I had an HP Pavilion 520w. It is at least 10 years old. XP Home, SP3. If someone needs other specs, I will try to provide them. It has the typical setup of A: being 1.44 Floppy, a CD ROM and a CD burner, with a couple ver. 1 USB ports.
My question/request here is this ... Years back, when we got this one, we gave THAT one to my step-son to use ... now he lives elsewhere, the 'puter is still here, barely running. I want to reinstall the OS and start over but, it don't boot to the CD. After he moved, I took it outside and opened it up to blow all the dust out of it. It was at that time I became concerned with the jumper settings on the CD drives. They are both set as "Master". I am asking here, if someone who puts them together frequently could put together some kind of schematic or diagram of the order they should be in along with the jumper settings. I have no clue if the kid has been in there!
A couple other bits of info, the burner will open but, has a Red light on. The CD ROM flickers green during Boot but, does not open. The HD light is constantly on and recently it freezes during the boot process. I tried booting in "safe mode" but it freezes there too. I got it to boot up yesterday but, it freezes up ... the cursor will stop for periods of time and then move again.
Maybe it's toasted and ready for the great electronics pile in the sky, I don't know ... I am kinda hoping to have it for the grandchildren to play games on.

Edited by Rich Kelly, 06 November 2012 - 11:14 AM.

If we cn't fix it, "it" aint broke !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users