Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Goober1128

Goober1128

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 13 November 2004 - 03:58 PM

Hello, I have been working on an old windows 95 machine of my Fathers. This computer was MASSIVELY infected with spyware and ad-ware. I had to completely remove internet explorer and re-install it. I have installed IE 5.0 (using a "full version" download that I used another computer to download from the internet) and am having a few problems. The first problem I noticed was that I am unable to successfuly use the Windows Update site. The site will load, with errors of coarse, and when I click on the "Product Updates" link, Internet explorer crashes. When I move my mouse over any of the buttons in the page, the little yellow triangle in the lower left corner of the screen says something about JAVA. I have a windows 95 version of JAVA from SUN installed on the machine. Also, when I try to use a download link...just any old link on any page, instead of bringing up a "Save, Open" dialog box, i get a massive amount of encrypted "gibberish" which pretty much hangs the computer. I have been banging my head against the wall for a long time on this one, any help anyone can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 14 November 2004 - 12:58 PM

You can find all fixes here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloa...ck1/Default.asp

I would install the service pack 1 first by downloading and installing it if its not on already as it may fix some of these problems.

I n order to avoid the gibberish you get when clicking on a link ,you can right click on the link and select save as. Then run the program off your hard drive after its done downloading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users