Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

There is No Disc in the Drive ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hello !

I think I have a problem, . . .
Besides photos and Graphic Art I have notepads and work pads, PDF's, etc. that I am trying to write to the DVD, someone gave them to me and they're brand new !

Googled Search >>>>
" is a write-once DVD disc with 4.7GB of data storage, or 120 minutes (SP) of DVD qualit"

What's wrong ???

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Firstly, do you have the disks the right way up (the label should be up, the polychromatic shiny surface down)!

I assume you have assembled the files in some DVD writing software, what software are you using?
Most software has a menu option to display the properties of the disk in the drive. Have you tried that and what does it say?
Have you successfully made data DVDs on this equipment before?

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hi Nanobyte, . .

The disc is in right, . . I have no special software for this data transfer, . .

No I have never used anything except CD's or flash drive.

But thanks for your help.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

I do have installed
Memorex 52 MAXX 3252AJTv2 DVD/CD-R

so I guess it should recognize the DVD-R

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

I found this and I think at one time I had some Nero software I am now search my PC for that, . .

http://www.ask.com/faqcentral/MEMOREX_DVD-R.html#4

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Could not find any Nero Software Installed, . .
What do you think of Nero 5 I believe I found a free version

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

If you have no software, I think that could be a fairly major issue! You can't simply drag files on to a DVD-R disk, even if it is right-side up.

Nero 5 is a bit out of date. There are a number of free burner programs around. I'm sure other members will volunteer many brands. I suggest CDBurnerXP which despite the name works for all disks and all Windows OSs. I don't think CDBurnerXP verifies the compilation (later versions of Nero do). If it does not, you should check the burned files to ensure they are OK.

You need to create a data disk. You can make it single or multi-session. Unless you need to backup data right now, it is better to wait until you nearly have a disk-full which is 4.37GB. You could also burn it on to a CD but you already have DVD blanks.

If you want to backup a small amount of data and anticipate adding many more small amounts of data, you can create a multi-session disk. If you do that, you have to be careful that previous recordings are not deleted. I think that only applies to re-writable DVDs DVD-RW. Read the Help carefully. If you have a decent size thumb drive handy, it may be an idea to backup the first few sessions on to that as well just in case you mess up the multi-session DVD.

Whatever format you use, if you finalize the disk, you will no longer be able to write to it. The flip side is that the contents cannot be accidentally deleted.

If you mess up or don't put much on a disk, don't worry about cost. If you buy disks in bulk, they are 20-30 cents each.

Edited by Nanobyte, 06 November 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

Hi Jove -

Open My Computer and what Drives are listed there - Do you have a D: or similar drive listed for your CDs.

Right click on the CD drive and select Properties, now what is listed ??

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

I could not find the exact model of burner, the AJ1 variant is a CD-RW but the AJTv2? Assumed it is a DVD burner. Since Jove has already burned to CDs then the drive must be enabled in XP for recording.

The business of XP and what it can record to seems to be debatable. There is one guide by cvm.ncsu.edu that seems convinced you can burn DVDs. Microsoft Support does not mention DVDs at all (nor does a search of their site), neither does the Windows Drive Properties/Recording dialog (on my PCs at least). Generally, online comments say XP does not record directly to DVDs. I'd have to go with that but I've never tried to burn any sort of disk directly in XP.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

comments say XP does not record directly to DVDs.

If the recording part of the drive is enabled, and working correctly, it will record or burn CDs and DVDs - I do it -
My current CD unit is only a "Player Only", as the recording function is not wired correctly and I am in the process of rewiring it.
I have 2 CD units linked (built in) but due to a PSU failure, and the wiring not being the same on my new PSU, I need to rewire the recording/playing unit.

I can play DVDs and CDs, but the "second unit" (Drive H), I am currently using, is only a player and not a recording device.
[attachment=132066:CD Drives.JPG]

#11 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

....If the recording part of the drive is enabled, and working correctly, it will record or burn CDs and DVDs - I do it -......

You're the first person I've come across who has confirmed that. Why would MS' documentation and dialogs not include DVDs? Anyway, I guess you are saying that Jove should be able to drag and drop.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

I do not imply a simple "Drag and Drop" system, but you will find a native recording program has been included since Windows98.
I still have several software programs to use, including BurnAware, CDBurnerXP, ImgBurn, PowerISO, BurnCdcc, for example on XP and Win7.

My Toshiba Win7 even has a Toshiba CD / DVD Burn program also included, as well as a Windows CD program -

#13 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

I'll be interested to see what luck Jove has. I tried burning to a DVD and it did not work.

I use Classic Menu so you drag & drop, right-click on the drive and tell it to burn with Windows Explorer. That went fine. I put in a CD-R when requested, did the labeling and the CD burned OK. I then checked to burn again. This time I put in a DVD+R. It spat the disk out and repeated the "Insert a CD etc". It would not accept the DVD. As previously noted, there is no reference at any time during the process to DVDs. Awaiting Jove's efforts!

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

>> See page 4 for burning DVDs on XP, but you do need a third-party software program -
Unfortunately, Windows XP does not include built-in support for burning DVDs. As a result, you will have to rely on external, third-party DVD burning software to burn DVDs. Some of the more popular DVD-burning software will be covered later in this tutorial.
Windows Vista now comes with many ways to burn DVDs without the need of thi rd-party programs, resulting in a great improvement over Windows XP.
How do I Burn a Dvd With Windows Xp? - There is a long list of options at the bottom of the page -

#15 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Hey its really nice of you all to bring forth such effort, Thank you, . .
BTW I am out of town and not at my PC so we are going to need to wait on getting your questions answered.

Yeah I'm getting use to knowing what side goes up and how to load the CD-DVD into the player, I just remember to do it exactly the opposite of the way I use to think it went, . . works every time!

See you all when I get back.

Edited by Jove, 07 November 2012 - 11:33 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users