Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

data recovery options?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bookhouse

bookhouse

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post.

Before my questionís I first would like to describe my situation.

Iím trying to help a friend recover data from a hard drive which shows a drive letter. The data recovery software cannot access it. I havenít had that problem because of a backup system I use therefore lack recovery experience.

Iíve never found a data recovery software that works. The only experience with recovery software I have is to use it to test file shedding software so I can watch the file remnants disappear with every sweep.

The businesses I called told me that data recovery software is usually unsuccessful and success would be more likely if the platters were installed into a known good drive. The estimates I received were anywhere from $300 to $1000.

My questionís are:

Is there a less expensive option?

How difficult would it be to perform the moving of hard drive platters to a working hard drive?

Would it be possible to get a data recovery software name which can be tested before purchase and are reasonable people to deal with.

I hope someone would be able to provide some insightís.

Thank you,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

ŅԀǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hi Bookhouse

Answer my questions and I will try to help you determine a course of action.

What is the hard drive manufacturer/model?

How is it connected to the computer (USB/internally direct to motherboard)?

What is the computer's manufacturer/model?

What operating system are you using (Windows 7/ Linux/ Windows ME)?

What happened that may be related to the drive shortly before it stopped letting you read and write data from it?

James

#3 bookhouse

bookhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

There are many companyís which were able to provide estimates without those particulars.
My friend does not want to go to the trouble of investigating time and trouble interrupting his system which is used for his business.
Once he receives enough general information he will know if it maybe worth the effort.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

ŅԀǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hi Bookhouse

It sounds like you may misunderstand this forum. We don't provide an estimate.

This is done for free by volunteers like me.

In a forum environment like this the most difficult part of helping somebody is in establishing adequate situational awareness with the main goal being, 'not to ask a person to do something that makes their problem worse.'

The questions I asked were simply for you to look and read labels that we can not see and if there was a specific reason for the drive failing that you had neglected to mention.

I apologize if you feel insulted by my questions and want to make it clear that I meant no disrespect nor was I attempting to perpetrate some predatory marketing technique to part you from your money.

James

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hi Bookhouse

It sounds like you may misunderstand this forum. We don't provide an estimate.

................................................................................

I apologize if you feel insulted by my questions and want to make it clear that I meant no disrespect nor was I attempting to perpetrate some predatory marketing technique to part you from your money.

James

Sir, you are infinitely more diplomatic in your reply than I ever could be. Kudos.

EDIT: As to the original post: I use Easis recovery. You can download a free trial and see if it discovers anything. If a software solution doesn't find anything then you are looking at a hardware problem. hardware problems are in 2 classes- controller board, and internal mechanical. Control boards are an easy swap, but.......you almost always have to have the exact controller board with the same firmware for it to work reliably. Finding the exact board without having a stockpile of hundreds of drives is difficult to impossible. If it is an internal problem, difficulty and price skyrocket. Sometimes actuators hang up in the park position, sometimes platter motors die, sometimes heads crash. Single platter hard drives are easier to work on than multi platter drives. Multiplatter drives require a jig to maintain platter alignment during a swap. In reality, internal hard drive problems are "expert only" which is why prices are so high. If you mess with it yourself, you have a better than 50-50 chance of screwing it up beyond any recovery option (excepting CIA/NSA). So far I have sent 2 (I think) customer hard drives for recovery and the cost averaged about $700 each.

Edited by dpunisher, 07 November 2012 - 01:29 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 bookhouse

bookhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Hi James
I wasnít looking for an estimate from you just data recovery ideas.
It would be very difficult for me to get the information you were asking about. My friend is sheepish able losing control over his equipment therefore he may have to solve the problem himself.
I thank you anyway for your efforts.
Bookhouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users