Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system will not boot up win xp home

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jedclampit

jedclampit

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

Have a problem with my desktop dell dimension 3000 (trying) to run win xp home

after muti attempts to startup it had an error message about a missing or corrupt .dll file

tried to boot from original cd, same problem

ran chkdisk found and corrected 1 problem

tried to re boot, from hard drive and also cd, still no go

tried to do a win xp repair, would not initiate

reinstalled windows xp, chose smallest partition on hard drive with enough available space

can I get my files and pictures back somehow??

I have a heavy heart, that I may have lost a lot of my pictures of my children in their youth and some important data files.

Any help is deeply appreciated. :clapping:

Edited by jedclampit, 06 November 2012 - 09:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

What you can retrieve depends on how much you panicked trying to reinstall the OS. If you tried installing it in a number of partitions, you may have overwritten your data. If you have your system installed on C and all your data in D and other partitions, providing you only try and install the OS in C, it will not affect the other partitions.

To retrieve data, you should put the drive in another PC that is running OK. The bad drive is installed as a slave so the PC starts up with its existing OS. You should be able to access your files and move them elsewhere. The drive letters for the partitions will be different to the originals but that is a minor issue. If you have problems doing that yourself, any repair shop should be able to retrieve what ever is still there, for a fee.

#3 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

If you didn't overwrite your original partition you should be able to get your files back. Hiren's boot cd is a great tool. Download it and you can burn it out to cd. There is instructions on the site explaining how to do that. Once you have it burned boot your computer to the cdrom. It will come up in a dos looking screen and you will see minixp, run that. Once it is booted go to the my computer icon, your partitions will show up as hard drives. Just open the one you want and save out your files to the new partition you created. Just as a suggestion you can use something like google drive or some other kind of cloud computing to back all your important data up. I believe they start you out with 5gb for free and you can access it from anywhere

Edited by Hadnjury, 06 November 2012 - 11:00 AM.

Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

#4 jedclampit

jedclampit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

It showed three partitions, and the one I used to install on was labeled "E".

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

<<Hiren's boot cd is a great tool.>>

A "great tool" with issues surrounding it :). Please...read Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html .

Note the date when the above policy was delineated and posted.

Thanks for complying with website policies...in the future :).

Louis

#6 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

I apologize Jedclampit for suggesting an ISO with issues. Any linux live cd can perform the same operation and there is no issues surrounding it.

#7 jedclampit

jedclampit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Can you direct me how or where to get this utility?

#8 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Here is a link to ubuntu. Ubuntu. Follow their instructions on how to get it to a dvd. Set your computer to boot from cdrom and when it loads click on try not install. once it is loaded, you should see your drives loaded on the sidebar. If not click on home folder which is located near the top on the sidebar and they will show there.

Edited by Hadnjury, 06 November 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

I found this among my "useful links" strorehouse...provided by AustrAlien:

"If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
    • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
    • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
    • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
    • There are two versions currently available: I suggest trying Slacko Puppy first.
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will have internet access in the normal manner.
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple."

Louis

#10 jedclampit

jedclampit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

My computer will start up and windows is working, although the screen resolution is very low and I can't increase it the normal way.

How and/or where do I look for my data files and pictures?

I haven't done anything else since I reloaded windows, when I check the partitions on my hard drive it shows three partitions.When I reloaded windows I did it on the smallest partition with enough space, it was labeled "E".

Thanks to all repliers, for your time, and sharing your knowledge with me! Hopefully I can recover the lost data and pictures!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Go Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Take a screenshot (so that we can see everything listed...then post it in your next post, please.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

Louis

#12 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

....How and/or where do I look for my data files and pictures?.....

I don't know what you are seeing but can't you browse the partitions with Windows Explorer looking for familiar foldernames? It should not be that difficult. How did you find the files before? If you are looking to get pointers, let's say your documents are mostly .jpg and .doc, you can search for *.jpg and *.doc on each partition. Many of the search results will be no good but you should be able to recognize a few filenames and then navigate to those folders.

#13 jedclampit

jedclampit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

I have found all my family pictures and misc data!!!! :thumbsup:

Now what to do next to get things back to normal?

my machine shows two hard drives(partitions?) now C and E

C has all my personal stuff on it still !!!! :thumbup2:
E is a very basic, no programs, very low screen resolution, no internet access (this is the only one I can boot up to by just turning the machine on)

What should I do now to make this machine operable again?

The error I had that started all ,of this was "Cannot find \Windows\System32\hal.dll"

I will definitely backup my photos to another media and my other machines elsewhere.Lesson learned,with minimal loss thankfully.

I really appreciate advice, help and time everyone has given! B) B)

Edited by jedclampit, 07 November 2012 - 09:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users