Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after login

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scrained

scrained

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hello, I own an Asus laptop with Vista installed on it. It is a little over a year old and lately I started noticing that after logging in, the screen remained black longer and longer, eventually for 5+ minutes and a while after that for at least 15 minutes, at which point I assumed it wasn't going to load my desktop anymore.

I ran Malwarebytes and didn't find a problem.

However, I was be able to solve it I think but would like to learn more about my problem anyway since I don't think I solved it forever. I rebooted into safe mode which wasn't a problem (not even a temporary black screen after login, immediatly the desktop popped up) and decided to disable some startup programs, the list is below:

-Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager
-ASUS Screen Saver Protector
-ASUS Webstorage
-Microsoft Office 2010
-Cyberlink MediaLibray Service
-Realtek HD Audio Manager
-Set Wallpaper
-Fancystart daemon (I asume this is from Daemon Tools, a disk emulating program)

I suspect the problem was with the wallpaper somehow, is this possible/likely?

I think another strong possibility is that my laptop is really dirty and needs cleaning. I still have a warranty for one year, though. Can I open up the laptop and clean it without voiding it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

. Can I open up the laptop and clean it without voiding it?

That would be a risk since the sticker label would be the first validation that it was not open. Usually the changes that was made aside from infections or failing hardware are the causes of your issue. If there were improvements from your startup tweaks, then it would most likely a software issue. Check your hardware temperature frequently to monitor, compare the changes also.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users