Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Empire Earth Ii Demo Icon Cannot Be Removed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 puffin

puffin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

I downloaded the Sierra Empire Earth II demo, which placed an icon on my desktop and used it to download and install the demo. I then uninstalled the demo using its own uninstall feature. It failed to remove the desktop icon which downloaded the demo. I tried downloading the Empire Earth II demo again and uninstalled it again, using the Windows "remove" feature. It, too, left the desktop icon. I tried a "System Restore" to the previous day (and to several other prior dates) and discovered System Restore no longer was able to restore to any date. An attempt to remove the icon in "safe" mode failed. Virus programs show no virus. I have also removed all other Sierra installations on my computer.

Deletion of the icon invariably produces this error message: "Error deleting file or folder. Cannot delete Empire Earth Setup-dm. It is being used by another person or program."

I'm using a Dell 3 Ghz computer, Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2 and have lots of available hard drive.

I have been hoping that successful deletion of the Empire Earth II demo icon would result in System Restore functioning again, since System Restore's failure came after installation and attempted deletion of the EEII demo icon.

Any suggestions would be seriously appreciated. --Puffin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

Try to rename it and delete, or change the properties, or drag it to the recycle bin.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:34 PM

Try deleting the icon in safe mode... maybe.
Posted Image

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

Jsut to throw another opinion in here.. it sounds like the set-up program did not terminate.. have you rebooted the computer since then?

#5 puffin

puffin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:20 AM

Jsut to throw another opinion in here.. it sounds like the set-up program did not terminate.. have you rebooted the computer since then?

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I've rebooted numerous times. This evening a knowledgable friend removed all registry entries containing the name of the icon, and, finally, the icon is gone and I have System Restore back. Your attention to my problem is greatly appreciated.

#6 puffin

puffin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:23 AM

Try to rename it and delete, or change the properties, or drag it to the recycle bin.

I've tried both of your very original ideas (renaming, changing properties); the stubborn icon resisted both. A friend has removed all registry entries with the icon's name, and I was then able to remove the icon and use System Restore again. Your attention to my problem is greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users