Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Update On Gateway M1629

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cheeseman55

cheeseman55

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

I am considering upgrading the BIOS of a Gateway model M1629 from the current version of 9D.05 to 9D.06. My questions are:

Where can I find documentation on what was updated in the BIOS in version 9D.06?

Also, where can I find documentation on the recommended way to upgrade the BIOS?

On the Gateway site, I found a zip file called BIOS_Gateway_9D06_A_A.zip. In it I find a folder called BIOS_Gateway_9D06_Windows_M-16. Within this folder, I find three files:
9D06.EXE
9D06.WPH
9D06W.exe

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

hi ,most makers tell you what the update changes are ,but I guess gateway want you to ask them ,I would go to the support section were yo ugot the update and setup an acct and contact them and aks what the update fixes ,good luck

gateway support
http://gateway-us.custhelp.com/app/utils/login_form/redirect/ask/kw/what%20was%20updated%20in%20the%20BIOS%20in%20version%209D.06

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 cheeseman55

cheeseman55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Thanks, but Gateway says on their site
"eMail Services are available to Customers whose systems are In Warranty."

I will not buy another Gateway.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

May I ask why you would need to update your BIOS? It is not needed to update unless a fix is addressed for a particular situation.

Tekken

#5 cheeseman55

cheeseman55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

This machine belongs to a friend of mine and was infected with a virus, I got it working again, and saw that there was an updated bios available. While I had the machine, I thought I would check and see if it makes sense to update the bios.

If I can't find any documentation, then I will leave it as is.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

I would leave it as is

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users