Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Profile

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SomeDude1

SomeDude1

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Hi! I'm not sure this is the best forum for this so if not please redirect me. I was having a malware issue address when my profile was corrupted. I can no longer log into the profile, it takes me to a "temporary profile" after a long load time. The desktop has none of my old files and nothing is set up the way I had it. I can create a new profile, but I can't seem to import the settings from the old profile by copying the files from the "user" folder. I was hoping I could get some help restoring my profile so I could get back to seeing if there is any malware on it.

Here is the link to my other post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic472521.html
I'm not trying to double post since these are different issues, please let me know if this is okay. It's a little hard for me to address the malware issue without fixing the profile first since I don't know where a lot of stuff is and I don't have a lot of computer time right now.

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

If you look at this guide

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

First point clearly states that

Log on as a user other than the new user you just created or the user that you want to copy files from.

You need three accounts to perform this operation.One is the corrupted profile,new profile and a another one to copy the files from the corrupted account to new account.

Did you do this?

So it said not to copy the ntuser.dat ntuser.dat.log and ntuser.ini files. I saw a lot of other ntuser files also and so I didn't copy any of them. Was I supposed to? Right now, that copied some files over but not most of them.

Didyou have any issues copying the files?

#3 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

I did do exactly that, but like I said I did not copy any files that started with ntuser. I had trouble copying them the first time when I did ctrl a and then unelected those files while holding control so then I did it again by copying all the files before the ntuser files, then copying the ones after. There are a lot of files so it's difficult to confirm each one but it looked like they transferred without problems. Like i said though, it didst change any of my user settings, just put a lot of files in that folder.

It's also a bit confusing to me as to which programs I can still access and which I cannot. For example, I can't find Chrome anywhere except the search bar and when I open it from there it's not configured but I can use it.

#4 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

To clarify, I didn't exclude the ntuser files because I had trouble copying them. I did it because I know sometimes computers have a bunch of versions of a file and when toured given directions about 1 it applies to all, is that a wrong assumption?

#5 griff210

griff210

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Did you delete the old profile in windows registry yet?
Try this link
https://php.radford.edu/~knowledge/lore/article.php?id=049

delete the profile

oops sorry forgot you have to rename the old profile name, maybe .old to the name then
reboot log back in with user name and then go to c:\users your old profile name and copy the data to the new profile name

The registry key does not delete the profile meaning whats on the pc just the name that is fubar

Edited by griff210, 06 November 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

Fix posted by griff210 is incomplete.That could mess up things.

I guess you didnot delete the corrupted user profile yet.Lets try another fix.

What is the name of the corrupted profile?

Go to C:\users folder and check the name of the folder.What is the name of new user account you created now?

Edited by narenxp, 06 November 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#7 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Hi narenxp, thanks for the response. The new user account is Pharoh_2 and the old one is Pharoh (these are the folder names, not the names from the log in screen because I changed them not realizing they didn't change the folder names. On the log in the old one I changed from Pharoh to Ph and the new one is Pharoh).

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

You have two user folders.

Pharoh_2-new account
Pharoh -corrupted profile

Follow the instructions as posted here.Do not get confused.

Pharoh is corrupted account which we are trying to fix and Pharoh_2 is the new account.

Create a restore point before trying the fixes.

Boot into Pharoh_2 account(newly created acct)

Press Windows+R key and type

regedit and click ok

Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

You should see something like this

Posted Image

Click on LONG STRINGS and select the one that represents the corrupted profile which is C:\users\Pharoh by checking the image path

Right click on key and export it to desktop(as a backup).Now delete the key from registry

Now rename C:\users\Pharoh to C:\users\Pharoh.bak

Restart the PC and boot into Pharoh account.You will see a new desktop.Restart the PC again and boot into Pharoh_2 account

Now Go to C drive

On top ,click on organize-folder and search options

Click on view tab and scroll down

Checkmark show hidden files
Uncheck Hide operating system files

CLick ok

Copy the NTUSER.DAT file located in

C:\users\Pharoh to C:\users\Pharoh.bak

Delete the Pharoh folder and rename Pharoh.bak to Pharoh

Boot into Pharoh account.You will not receive the pop up now.

Edited by narenxp, 09 November 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#9 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

So I ran into a few problems. First of all, the ntuser.dat file is not in C:\users\Pharoh
I'm not really sure why because the last time I did this according to the above article it was there (the only difference is I was in the third profile instead of the second). There is an ntuser.dat file under C:\users\default however.

The other problem is I don't really understand what you mean by Copy the NTUSER.DAT file located in C:\users\Pharoh to C:\users\Pharoh.bak do you just mean rename the file?

Thanks!

#10 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

Update: I logged out and back into the third profile (it's called new) and I am able to access the ntuser.dat file in C:\users\Pharoh
I'm not sure what the difference is between the two profiles. They were both created after my other file got corrupted and to my knowledge I did not do anything differently with them, however, they seem to have a different configuration. For example, I can access google chrome from the Pharoh_2 profile but not the "New" profile.

Should I follow the above instructions from the "New" profile instead?

#11 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

Yes

The other problem is I don't really understand what you mean by Copy the NTUSER.DAT file located in C:\users\Pharoh to C:\users\Pharoh.bak do you just mean rename the file?

You are going to replace the corrupt ntuser.dat file in Pharoh.bak folder with clean one from Pharoh folder

Copy the ntuser.dat file and paste it in Pharoh.bak.It should ask for replacing it,click YES

#12 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Ahh, I was confused. Got it and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much! Can I delete the other accounts now?

#13 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

You're welcome :)

You can delete the other accounts now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users