Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything Just Dissapeared!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 slavetoperfection

slavetoperfection

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

My computer has had a (or many) virus(s), trojan(s), or PUP(s) for a long time now.
We have a McAfee personal firewall, and all of their little protection gadgets, whatever my father got.
The computer usually runs fine, and we (my mother, my father and I are the three users) just ignore the McAfee warning (Your computer has blah blah blah we reccomend that you scan your computer now [and stuff similar to that]) popups.
About a week ago, I turned on the computer and logged in like I usually do, but when it went to my desktop, there was my usual background picture, one of the McAfee popups thats always there (McAfee VirusScan- McAfee ActiveShield has found a suspect file on your computer. McAfee strongly recommends that you scan your computer now.), but there was nothing else. No icons, no taskbar, no start menu, nothing. I'm able to access some programs through the Windows Task Manager, but I cannot access any personal folders, such as photos. I have quite a few important photos on my computer that I had not yet had time to back up. I can't find a way to do that now, because the computer does not recognize any disks, or anything that is hooked up to the computer.
I'm hoping that someone can tell me if there's a way to save my pictures, and return the computer to it's former state. Fine if no one can help though.
Oh, and the computer is running perfectly fine other than that. Speed is good, there is no odd activity other than everything dissapearing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

Well first of all, you should scan with your anti-virus A.S.A.P. if at all possible.

"one of the McAfee popups thats always there (McAfee VirusScan- McAfee ActiveShield has found a suspect file on your computer. McAfee strongly recommends that you scan your computer now.)"

I do not think that it is in your best interest, to not heed this warning.

Suggested reading:
Bleeping Computer's - How Did I Get Infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!

Bleeping Computer's - Simple steps to keep your computer secure!

Suggested download:
aČ Free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap."

Edited by Scarlett, 23 March 2006 - 08:00 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users