Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro startup after mistake

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hiroshi

hiroshi

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

I was starting my computer and accidently disconneted a wire to my hard drive. I reinstalled it right away but, now I have a problem with the start up just looping. I used F8 but goes to "Please select boot device". Then beeps and starts cycling again. Can anyone assist me in fixing this. Appreciate any help...Hiroshi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 hiroshi

hiroshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Louis. ASUS P5B-E running Windows XP-Pro This system was built by a friend and been working fine until my blunder.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Soooo...you have a MS install CD?

In any case...I would do this.

With the system off, go to the PSU and flip the on/off switch to the off position. Leave it off for a minute or two, then flip the switch back to the on position and turn the system on.

When the system begins to boot...start tapping the Delete key...trying to access the BIOS.

If you can get in the BIOS, change the boot options, so that the optical drive is the first boot device, rather than the hard drive.

Insert the XP CD into the optical drive.

Hit F10 to save the changes made in the BIOS. System will reboot.

Choose option to repair existing install to get to Recovery Console, by pressing R. This should take you to the Recovery Console.

Type 1 in response to query re which install.

Just hit Enter when queried for password.

Type chkdsk /r on next promp line and hit Enter.

When completed, you will see a summary of data and another command prompt. Type Exit and hit Enter to reboot the system.

Go back into BIOS, change boot options back...see if you can boot to hard drive now.

Louis

#5 hiroshi

hiroshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Yes. I have the original XP-Pro disc plus a XP sp3 restore disc. Which one would you recommend I use? I'm hoping not to lose anything..Thanks for the quick replies.....HIroshi

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

Use the original disk, please...recovery CDs are not the same as MS Genuine install CDs, although they serve (somewhat) similar functions in the eyes of the recovery CD system manufacturer.

Louis

#7 hiroshi

hiroshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

I recovered my desk top with the XP disc as instructed and thank you for that but, I do seem to still have a couple of problems, one is that it take extremely long for the icons to load on the desktop and I lost my system tray along with my start button. I have to power off everytime. I tried the usual stuff i.e. Ctl+Esc, can't even resize the screen to see if it's hidden. I ran both the restore and original Windows XP disc twice just to see. I know I'm wasting your time but, it's appreciated.....
Hiroshi

#8 hiroshi

hiroshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I went to Microsoft support and download their Fix it 50192 but, when I tried to run it, and error message came up telling me.(Window installer could not be accessed. This can occur if installer in not correctly installed.) Can't do much without a start button. Totally lost.
Hiroshi

Edited by hiroshi, 06 November 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Why...did you run a recovery disk...that was not intended for that system?

I cannot even begin to guess what might be wrong with the system...but I would expect all sorts of file damage and inappropriate files gumming up the works.

Can you boot into safe mode?

Is System Restore running on this system?

Louis

#10 hiroshi

hiroshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I understand where you're coming from. I was having a friend also help me and I believe you're right about it being messed up. I seem to have been wasting your time. Thank you anyway trying to help me out. Thanks again.....Hiroshi
BTW, I tried once before but, I can't understand why you folks won't take a donation. It's time spent trying to help someone else and I believe one should be paid for it. Is there a way one can donate. This isn't the first time you folks have spent time on me....?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Generous offer, but no thanks :).

I have spent the better portion of my adult years...doing things for money, out of necessity. I find that the many of the things I appreciate restrospectively in life...had nothing to do with assisting and being rewarded finncially.

I think it's safe to say that many other members feel the same or in a similar manner...we like to try to help and the time/effort is freely donated by all...because they want to donate it :).

I learn something every day here...that's my "compensation/reward" for any assistance I might happen to provide someone.

As for your situation...you might as well try a repair install of XP to see if that can eliminate some of the problems.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users