Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

motherboard spacers or standoffs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

My friend is building a computer, I told her about these things that should be made of plastic or rubber, to stop the motherboard from shorting out when you turn it on. She can't find anything made of plastic or rubber, the instructions say nothing about this, and her friend says he never used any such thing when building a computer.
I am on web cam with them, but they are chatting away in Norwegian, so I can't talk to this guy. I don't even know what these things are called.

Is it possible that a Sabortooth z77 doesn't need spacers or standoff's?
I am trying to warn them that something must separate the motherboard from the metal of the case. Am I wrong about this?
It's ATX mobo and ATX case.

If I am right, could anyone show me what these spacers or standoffs look like?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Motherboards are usually mounted on standoffs made out of brass (or sometimes plastic) and screwed into pre-drilled holes.

Under no circumstances should the motherboard be screwed directly onto the mounting plate.

Edited by Andrew, 05 November 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#3 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Oh they can be made out of metal. OK, we found them now.
I wasn't even sure what those things were called. I was just 99% sure something had to separate contact between the mobo and the case.
Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Glad to have helped. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users