Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ashley25

ashley25

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

i need computer help, my laptop is running on 5gb of ram and its still very slow, and when i try to open up a program i have to click on it 5 times before it opens, and when im on the web it frezzes all the time, i scanned my computer useing nortom and i had no virsues, i also scan my computer useing malwarebytes and that didnt find anything, i dont know what else to try, please help me

Edited by ashley25, 05 November 2012 - 03:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Go to the download portion of this site and get Farbar recovery scan tool and Farbar service scanner. These tools could give you some more insight to your problem. When you get the results you will need to post them under Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section of the forum. They will help you there
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Does the system work properly in safe mode?

#4 griff210

griff210

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Have you downloaded anything recently and then this started to happen? Have you added any new hardware or software? I would first start there and if you have try removing it and see if its better. Sounds like you have something running that is taking your resources possibly, hard to tell unless you can give us more info. What operating system are you running?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Something to throw into the mix:

You mention Norton. Which Norton product(s) do you have installed on your computer? If you have had Norton for a while has the computer been fine until recently?

I mention this because sometimes a security product will not play nice with a system. Unfortunately the only way to find out if it is Norton is to uninstall it.

If this is something you want to try, download a free AV such as Microsoft Security Essentials. Save it to your desktop. Uninstall Norton,reboot, then install the other AV. If using Norton Security Suite with firewall, enable Windows firewall.

Other things you can try are listed here Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

Regarding this:

Go to the download portion of this site and get Farbar recovery scan tool and Farbar service scanner. These tools could give you some more insight to your problem. When you get the results you will need to post them under Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section of the forum. They will help you there

While it is possible that malware could be the cause of your issues you should explore non-malware causes first.

IF you decide to post in Malware Removal Logs there is no need to run Farbar unless instructed to do so by a member of the Malware Removal Team. You should instead follow the steps in Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help prior to posting in MRL.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 November 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#6 ashley25

ashley25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

the only thing that i downloaded recently was malwarebytes and aim, thats it..... and im useing windows 7

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

You mention Norton. Which Norton product(s) do you have installed on your computer? If you have had Norton for a while has the computer been fine until recently?

Also, did you purchase Norton or is it provided by your ISP to customers?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 November 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#8 ashley25

ashley25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

i get norton free threw comcast

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

Please hold off on Speccy for now. If needed it can be run at a later time.

i get norton free threw comcast

Thank you for that information.

The word Comcast paired with the word Norton is all I need to know about what is a likely cause of your issue.
I'm betting that you have the Constant Guard portion of the suite installed.

The cure is simple if it is.

Uninstall the Constant Guard portion of the protection suite.

Removing Constant Guard will NOT remove Norton.

Control Panel/Programs and Features.

Look for Constant Guard and get rid of it. Reboot your computer.
Let me know if the uninstall resolved the issue.

edit to add: if you see Xfinity Toolbar listed get rid of it because it can be flaky and cause issues which clear up when uninstalled.

Bonus info: Comcast does not have a stellar history when it comes to branded software. They have something called Easy Solve which actually solves nothing. I have reviewed the program and my review does not praise it. If interested let me know and I can give you a link to the review.

Just in case you don't know, Comcast has a help forum for customers. I can also provide you details about it if interested.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 November 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#11 ashley25

ashley25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

i have norton but i do not have constant guard, i got rid of that a long time agi

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

So we can rule out Constant Guard as the cause.

As I stated above

sometimes a security product will not play nice with a system. Unfortunately the only way to find out if it is Norton is to uninstall it.

If this is something you want to try, download a free AV such as Microsoft Security Essentials. Save it to your desktop. Uninstall Norton,reboot, then install the other AV. If using Norton Security Suite with firewall, enable Windows firewall.

Try uninstalling Norton-the solution could be as simple as it not playing nice with YOUR system. If your system runs faster you will have cured the problem. If not and you want to reinstall Norton you can do so. You could also run Speccy if the Norton uninstall does not resolve the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users