Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD; Only Safe Mode access + no internet

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 StarGazers

StarGazers

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

In advance, thanks for help with this problem with my husbandís Windows 7 computer. If this is not the correct place for the questions here, please let me know. Also if any more information is needed, Really have no idea what to do and would so appreciate help!

- Can only access the computer in Safe Mode; cannot access the internet. Our usual access to the internet is through a Verizon 5-spot. We live in a rural area and this is all that we can get or Internet.

When the computer is started normally, all icons soon disappear from the desktop, leaving only the Recycle Bin visible. Tried (but didn't manage) downloading updates from Windows Updates for 'non-essential' things as managed to update what was essential the day before when all was working much better. Just could not get anywhere.

Since Saturday evening, the computer has got progressively worse to where it is today, Monday, with access only in Safe Mode, and no internet access available.

Yesterday, did a disc cleanup on the computer, and deleted some files that were there which were not ticked, and I ticked them, donít remember what they were. About 1.5 gb.

Back in May, in a Malwarebytes scan, there was a Trojan, and malware on the computer. (I remember the name PUP malware; all was quarantined and was still there as of yesterday). I replaced free Avira with free AVG yesterday, and managed to scan with AVG which came up clean.

Even though neither AVG nor Malwarebytes found anything when we could still access them yesterday, we are wondering if it may be a Virus or Trojan. Also wondering whether the computer could be overheating, or dust in the computer (can see dust under keys).

Two points follow, Point One is technical information on the computer itself. Point Two, is nearly all error messages received since Sunday night.

POINT ONE: COMPUTER INFORMATION:

Cyber Power PC is the company:
Code: NTBKX77500
Xplorer X7-7500 Gaming Notebook
ADAPTER: Universal AC-DC Adapter
BAGS: Free Deluxe Carrying Bag for 17 Inch Notebook
BATTERY: 6 cells Smart Lithium-Ion battery pack, 48.84WH
BLUETOOTH: None
CD: 8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (NB-358-DVDRW)
CPU: Intel® Coreô i7-2820QM Mobile Processor 2.30 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.40 GHz [+360]
FLASHMEDIA: Built-In 9in1 Media Reader
HDD: 750GB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive [+48]
HDMI: Built-in HDMI Port
INVERTER: None
KEYBOARD: Built-in Keyboard
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: Intel HM65 Express Chipset Mainboard
MOUSE: BUILT-IN TOUCHPAD
NETWORK: Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Card
NOTEBOOK: Clevo W170HN Gaming Notebook 17.3" Full HD 16:9 LED-Backlit 1920x1080 Display w/ Built-in 2.0MP Webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter
NOTEBOOK_COVER: Xplorer X7 Gaming Notebook Cover
OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
SOFT1: Microsoft® Office® 2010 Home and Student (Word, Excel, PowerPoint + OneNote) [+105]
SOUND: Built-in 3D Premium Surround Sound
SPEAKERS: Built-in Stereo Speakers System
TVRC: None
USB: Built-in 2x USB2.0 Ports + 2x USB3.0 Ports
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
VIDEO: NVIDIA GT 555M 2GB PCIe Video
VIDEOCAMERA1: Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixel Webcam
WNC: Built-in Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth v3.0 Card module
WTV: None
_view_: {2CC36693-BCA3-49E0-863F-BCACFDD03AAF}
_load_: 5/23/2011 2:25:45 PM

POINT TWO:

Message this morning, Monday: The instruction at 0x00000000777FC3EE referenced memory at 0x000007FEF59CFDB0. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc000000e.

Messages yesterday, Sunday:

BSOD Code no. *** STOP: 0x000000F4

STOP: C0000135 The program canít start because %hs is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

PXE Ė E61: Media Test Failure, check cable.
PXE Ė MOF Exiting PXE Rom.
Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

Thanks you again. Very much appreciated. -

Mary

Edited by StarGazers, 06 November 2012 - 05:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 StarGazers

StarGazers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

I guess that nobody is able to help me :(

If anyone has at least a suggestion, would appreciate just a mention.

Thank you.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

BSOD Code no. *** STOP: 0x000000F4

STOP: C0000135 The program can’t start because %hs is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

This is likely a malware-related issue.

Since the computer can still boot into Safe Mode, I will request that this topic be moved to the Am I infected? What do I do? forum and organise some help for you.

Edited by AustrAlien, 07 November 2012 - 07:45 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

Moved to AII.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

I suspect you are missinga DLL file perhaps remved with the malware.

First run SFC..
Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.

If still an issue..
Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Please Download

TDSSkiller

Launch it. Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file system

Click on "Scan".
Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive)

Do not change the default options on scan results.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Delete.
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Lastly:

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image
      icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 StarGazers

StarGazers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Hello boopme,

Tried to use EST Online Scan, got through step 1 and step 2 and 99% of the way through step 3 when we got the BSOD. Might have crashed at the baseball files, but not sure of that. (the computer is my husband's)

Managed now to get online in normal mode (so not using safemode right now).

Did sfc /scannow with no problems. The system did not ask for a CD (and have discovered that the Windows CD I have is only a repair one and not full Windows, so to speak).

Your next paragraph after writing about sfc /scannow now started ‘If still an issue…’ As was not an issue at the time, did not download the MiniToolbox. Have now dowloaded TDSSkiller, AdwCleaner, and re-downloaded ESET Online Scan. This is the message we got yesterday on the BSOD during the ESET scan:

‘A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007A (0xFFFFF6FC40007D58, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000056, 0x000000001E307860, 0xFFFFF88000FAB630)

*** partmgr.sys – Address FFFFF88000FAB630 base at FFFFF88000F9D000, DateStamp 4f641bc1

Collecting data for crash dump…
Initializing disc for crash dump…
Physical memory dump FAILED with status 0xC0000010. ‘

Also received this message later: ‘SuperFetch is not running at startup. Control Panel >Troubleshooting>System and Security>Check for Performance Issues.’

Have updated all Windows Updates, which include updates to Nvidia and IE 9. If I should download the MiniToolbox, please tell me so, but our only access to the internet is either through a Verizon 5-Spot or a mobile phone.

Thank you for your help so far.

Mary

Edited by StarGazers, 09 November 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#7 StarGazers

StarGazers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Another message this evening: 'Windows did not pass genuine validation. Security Essentials will become disabled in 30 days if you do not resolve this issue.' There is a similar error message for Word and Excel, when working in Safe Mode, 'cannot verify the license'. Have license for Windows and computer was bought May 2011.

Also, Windows IE 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (which I tried to install this morning and which took about three quarters of an hour for 36.7 mb) did not install. This was from Windows Update.

Finally, the CD for Windows has written on it: 'Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. Software included in this media was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory and may only be used for backup and recovery of your CyberPower, Inc. Computer System.' could you tell me if that means it is not a complete Windows and cannot be used to reinstall Windows, if necessary?

Hope you can help with all this. Mary

Edited by StarGazers, 09 November 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Mary,I am asking someoneabout this.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

Thanks boopme. Sorry about the delay getting to you, Mary.

I am concerned that some of the error messages that you are reporting indicate a hardware (likely hard drive) problem.

I think you should prepare for the worst at this stage before going any further:
  • You should minimise the use of Windows (including the hard drive).
  • You should ensure that you have all important personal files backed up to a physically separate device, such as an external hard drive.
You wrote: "... the CD for Windows has written on it: 'Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. Software included in this media was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory ..."
Presumably that's a DVD and not a CD. That sounds good to me: You should be able to use that to install Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 on a new hard drive if it turns out to be necessary.

Let's try to get a look at the S.M.A.R.T. data for the hard drive.

How to obtain hard drive S.M.A.R.T. data on a Windows system and then paste the report into a forum post
  • Download the GSmartControl installer application:
    • Go to the GSmartControl - Downloads page.
    • Scroll part way down the page to where the current version available for download will be displayed.
      Posted Image
    • Click on the link to download the installer file to your computer.
      (There may be a mirror link there also which will enable you download the file if the main download link does not work for some reason.)
  • Double-click the downloaded application to run it and install GSmartControl on the computer.
    Note: Vista/Win7 users, right-click > Run as Administrator
  • When installation is complete, run GSmartControl:
    • Start GSmartControl from the Start > Programs menu.
  • When the interface has loaded and scanning for hard drives is complete, click on the hard drive icon to select the device.
  • Go to Device on the top menu > View Details, and a new Device Information window will open.
  • Click on the Attributes tab to display the S.M.A.R.T data values.
  • Near the bottom of the window, click on View Output and a new Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click anywhere inside that window > Select All.
  • Again right-click in that selected area > Copy.
  • Now paste that in a reply to your topic.
    Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved (to make it easier for all to read).
    • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
      You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
    • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 StarGazers

StarGazers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Thanks. Here is the information. Mary

smartctl 5.43 2012-06-30 r3573 [i686-w64-mingw32-win7(64)-sp1] (sf-5.43-1)
Copyright (C) 2002-12 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     ST9750420AS
Serial Number:    5WS0HRMQ
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 02f77531d
Firmware Version: 0001SDM5
User Capacity:    750,156,374,016 bytes [750 GB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 4
Local Time is:    Sat Nov 10 09:03:38 2012 EST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x00)	Offline data collection activity
					was never started.
					Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed
					without error or no self-test has ever 
					been run.
Total time to complete Offline 
data collection: 		(    0) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: 			 (0x73) SMART execute Offline immediate.
					Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
					Suspend Offline collection upon new
					command.
					No Offline surface scan supported.
					Self-test supported.
					Conveyance Self-test supported.
					Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)	Saves SMART data before entering
					power-saving mode.
					Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)	Error logging supported.
					General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine 
recommended polling time: 	 (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 ( 149) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 (   3) minutes.
SCT capabilities: 	       (0x303f)	SCT Status supported.
					SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
					SCT Feature Control supported.
					SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   117   099   006    Pre-fail  Always       -       119855176
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   098   098   085    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   097   097   020    Old_age   Always       -       3592
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   080   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       102392766
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       4254
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   099   099   020    Old_age   Always       -       1796
184 End-to-End_Error        0x0032   100   100   099    Old_age   Always       -       0
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       219
188 Command_Timeout         0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       37
189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   060   048   045    Old_age   Always       -       40 (Min/Max 21/40)
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       2009
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       164
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   078   078   000    Old_age   Always       -       45232
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   040   052   000    Old_age   Always       -       40 (0 16 0 0 0)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   117   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       119855176
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   097   097   000    Old_age   Always       -       72
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   097   097   000    Old_age   Offline      -       72
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
240 Head_Flying_Hours       0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       244314919669606
241 Total_LBAs_Written      0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1847885566
242 Total_LBAs_Read         0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       3947231970
254 Free_Fall_Sensor        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
ATA Error Count: 218 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)
	CR = Command Register [HEX]
	FR = Features Register [HEX]
	SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]
	SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]
	CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]
	CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]
	DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]
	DC = Device Command Register [HEX]
	ER = Error register [HEX]
	ST = Status register [HEX]
Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as
DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,
SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.

Error 218 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 4227 hours (176 days + 3 hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 00 b0 e8 d5 08  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x08d5e8b0 = 148236464

Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
  CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
  -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------
  60 00 08 b0 e8 d5 48 00      01:45:43.326  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 40 00      01:45:43.325  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 08 b0 e8 d5 48 00      01:45:40.608  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 40 00      01:45:40.608  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 08 b0 e8 d5 48 00      01:45:37.743  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 217 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 4227 hours (176 days + 3 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --

60 00 08 b0 e8 d5 48 00      01:45:40.608  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 40 00      01:45:40.608  READ LOG EXT
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 40 00      01:45:37.742  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 08 b0 e8 d5 48 00      01:45:34.986  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 216 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 4227 hours (176 days + 3 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2f 00 01 10 00 00 40 00      01:45:37.742  READ LOG EXT
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 40 00      01:45:34.986  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 08 b0 e8 d5 48 00      01:45:32.283  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 215 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 4227 hours (176 days + 3 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2f 00 01 10 00 00 40 00      01:45:34.986  READ LOG EXT
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 40 00      01:45:32.283  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 08 b0 e8 d5 48 00      01:45:29.541  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 214 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 4227 hours (176 days + 3 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2f 00 01 10 00 00 40 00      01:45:32.283  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 08 b0 e8 d5 48 00      01:45:29.541  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 40 00      01:45:29.540  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 08 b0 e8 d5 48 00      01:45:26.894  READ FPDMA QUEUED

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

#11 StarGazers

StarGazers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Think it is a DVD, by the way. Just did not realize the difference. Have backed up all data to an External Hard Drive. :)

Thank you again for the help!

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

72 sectors on the hard drive are reported to be problematic/unreadable:
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   097   097   000    Old_age   Always       -       72
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   097   097   000    Old_age   Offline      -       72
Please check to see if there are any recent chkdsk logs, and if so, post them for me to review.

A log of the disk check is recorded only if the scheduled re-start is used, and only for drives on the same HDD as the Operating System.
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
    The Event Viewer window will open.
  • In the left pane, expand "Windows Logs" and then click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Wininit", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Click on that Wininit entry to select it.
  • On the top main menu, click Action > Copy > Copy Details as Text.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 StarGazers

StarGazers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Here is the log--Mary

Thanks!

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Date: 11/8/2012 7:17:38 PM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Charles-PC
Description:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
951552 file records processed.

File verification completed.
317 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

60 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
1022212 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
Repairing the security file record segment.
951552 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 600 unused index entries from index $SII of file 9.
Cleaning up 600 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 9.
Cleaning up 600 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
35331 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
36775832 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 at offset 0x58e1010000 for 0x3000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 at offset 0x58e1010000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 61936
of name \Users\Charles\DOCUME~1\OUTOFT~1\OOTPBA~2\SAVED_~1\PAC754~1.LG\AUTO-S~1\scouting.dat.
Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 at offset 0x5b39d61000 for 0x2000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 at offset 0x5b39d62000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 185677
of name \Users\Charles\Desktop\TRANSF~2\PREVIO~1\BB_6-1~1\OLDQUI~1\1910CO~4.QUI\news\txt\players\PL3369~1.TXT.
Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 at offset 0x5b39d63000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 185678
of name \Users\Charles\Desktop\TRANSF~2\PREVIO~1\BB_6-1~1\OLDQUI~1\1910CO~4.QUI\news\txt\players\PL07AD~1.TXT.
Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 at offset 0x5b39d64000 for 0x2000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 at offset 0x5b39d64000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 at offset 0x5b39d65000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 185679
of name \Users\Charles\Desktop\TRANSF~2\PREVIO~1\BB_6-1~1\OLDQUI~1\1910CO~4.QUI\news\txt\players\PL03FE~1.TXT.
Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 at offset 0x11a580d000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc00000b5 at offset 0x11a5816000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 780972
of name \Users\Charles\DOCUME~1\OUTOFT~1\OOTPBA~2\backups\1910cont.lg\AUTO-S~1\teams.dat.
951536 files processed.

File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
155912098 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.
Adding 6 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

732469247 KB total disk space.
107337200 KB in 818464 files.
406536 KB in 35332 indexes.
36 KB in bad sectors.
1077083 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
623648392 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
183117311 total allocation units on disk.
155912098 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 85 0e 00 30 07 0d 00 51 d3 18 00 00 00 00 00 ....0...Q.......
ae 8d 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....<...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Wininit" Guid="{206f6dea-d3c5-4d10-bc72-989f03c8b84b}" EventSourceName="Wininit" />
<EventID Qualifiers="16384">1001</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-09T00:17:38.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>85749</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Charles-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
951552 file records processed.

File verification completed.
317 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

60 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
1022212 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
Repairing the security file record segment.
951552 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 600 unused index entries from index $SII of file 9.
Cleaning up 600 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 9.
Cleaning up 600 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
35331 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
36775832 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
of name \Users\Charles\DOCUME~1\OUTOFT~1\OOTPBA~2\SAVED_~1\PAC754~1.LG\AUTO-S~1\scouting.dat.
of name \Users\Charles\Desktop\TRANSF~2\PREVIO~1\BB_6-1~1\OLDQUI~1\1910CO~4.QUI\news\txt\players\PL3369~1.TXT.
of name \Users\Charles\Desktop\TRANSF~2\PREVIO~1\BB_6-1~1\OLDQUI~1\1910CO~4.QUI\news\txt\players\PL07AD~1.TXT.
of name \Users\Charles\Desktop\TRANSF~2\PREVIO~1\BB_6-1~1\OLDQUI~1\1910CO~4.QUI\news\txt\players\PL03FE~1.TXT.
of name \Users\Charles\DOCUME~1\OUTOFT~1\OOTPBA~2\backups\1910cont.lg\AUTO-S~1\teams.dat.
951536 files processed.

File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
155912098 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

732469247 KB total disk space.
107337200 KB in 818464 files.
406536 KB in 35332 indexes.
36 KB in bad sectors.
1077083 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
623648392 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
183117311 total allocation units on disk.
155912098 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 85 0e 00 30 07 0d 00 51 d3 18 00 00 00 00 00 ....0...Q.......
ae 8d 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....&lt;...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Thank you. There has been at least some file corruption and chkdsk is reporting bad sectors on the hard drive:

Date: 11/8/2012 7:17:38 PM
951536 files processed.

36 KB in bad sectors.

I think it very likely you will need to replace the hard drive. Ordering a new one right now would not be jumping the gun in my opinion. However, you may wish to test the hard drive first for your own satisfaction before doing so. The GSmartControl report shows that the hard drive has never been tested before, so we don't know what surprises it may have in store for us.

The following involves some risk to the hard drive and the Windows system:
  • Important: Ensure that you have backed up all important personal files before proceeding!
Test a Seagate manufactured hard disk drive using SeaTools for DOS run from a bootable CD.

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

The long test will take some considerable time to complete.
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests and post another GSmartControl report.

Edited by AustrAlien, 10 November 2012 - 10:48 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 StarGazers

StarGazers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Hello again AustrAlien! Thanks again for all your much appreciated help.

1. Unfortunately, neither the link 'Learn more about SeaTools for DOS. (view a 24 page pdf document)' nor the link 'See the tutorial on the usage of SeaTools for DOS' worked for me?

2. I have CDs ready.

3. In your third point, 'Boot from the CD. You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive,' I am not sure how this is done, so could you advise me on that.

I will do the downloading of the SeaTools tomorrow.

Mary

Edited by StarGazers, 11 November 2012 - 11:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users