Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Ideas?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zrmjsr

zrmjsr

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

I had posted a Hijack Log and they referred me to this forum. In reviewing the hijack log, he didn't see anything that would cause me the problems I am having. My computer has been down for approximately two weeks. When we arrived home, the wallpaper had changed, the toolbar had changed and we can no longer get on the web. Well, we can finally load up AOL but it will not move beyond the home page. Wordperfect will work and other software that is loaded on the machine. The problem just seems to be with the web. We actually have DSL and dial-up AOL. (Hadn't disconnected from AOL just yet) The DSL will not work at all. Like I stated, the AOL will only go to the homepage. I cannot get to anything on the web to download any scans or updates. I have tried to download some stuff from work but it will not "read" to the computer. Do you have any suggestions at all? I would have thought that it was malware or a virus but he couldn't identify anything in the hijack log. I am ready to just reformat or something...... I would appreciate any help that you can give me. I had posted in the Hijack Log forum with the user ID of zrmjsr if that would help. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

Are your AOL payments up to date? I mean, they haven't disconnected your account?

Anyway, it's possible your winsock is having a problem. That leads to limited or no connectivity. Reading through your hijack thread, I don't see where you tried LSP fix. You can download it and move it to the problem computer and run it to see if that restores your connectivity. LSP fix just re-arranges the list in the Winsock, removing any empty lines. If you removed some malware, it may have broken your winsock.

Get it here.

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

Couple questions:

1. When you transfer files from work are you trying to run them from the transfer medium, or have you tried to copy to your hard drive first? Also what are you using, CD/DVD, floppie, etc.?

2. Can you relate the beginning of the problem to any software you installed? I notice TrueSwitch in you log, which I don't know much about, but as it's related to your ISP it may be causing the problem. If your problems started when that was installed it might narrow it down.

Let's hold off on LSPFix for the moment til we can figure out if we can get some files on your computer.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:01 PM

Sorry Heyoldman, I accidentaly deleted your post, but was able to reproduce it:

I think i had this happen to me before. My web stopped working even when i had dsl and this is what i think happened.
When this happened to me i thought i had a virus so i bought a virus program and ran it. It caught some viruses but i still could not get on the net. You see, it doesn't detect spyware, and that can change the location of your what site or conection your computer has.
So, its the spywares fault, the only thing you can do is do a system recovery.
or full recovery.
whatever works for you.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 zrmjsr

zrmjsr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:06 PM

Thanks so much for the respond. I am going to try the Winsox fix. Can you tell me where to go in case this doesn't work to do a system recovery or a full recovery? I am not for sure what the difference is (sorry) but I am going to be home tomorrow and I should have time to work on this. Thank you so much.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:38 PM

Try deleting the fast ethernet adapter in the control panel and rebooting, letting Windows find it and reinstall it.

What do you mean by "the computer was down for two weeks"?
What happened during that period to bring it back up?

If you have a Windows System Restore point from before the problems started it could restore your system to the day it was created, but the problem is that it will also negate any fixes the HJT forum had you do if any, and other fixes you may have done.

It might be worth trying, depending on what else you have done to the computer.

The other alternative if the winsock fix didn't cure the problem, you don't have a Windows Restore point predating when the problem began, deleting the ethernet adapter and reinstalling it doesn't work may to wipe the disk and reinstall Windows.

Do you have either a Restore disk provided by the computer manufacturer, a Restore partition on the hard drive which will do the same thing, or a Windows XP installation disk?

#7 zrmjsr

zrmjsr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:59 PM

The computer has been down for two weeks as far as the web goes. The other software appears to run correctly. We basically use it for the web, so therefore, it seems down to us. I do have an XP disk that came from Dell. I don't recall if it saids Restore or just the XP software is on the disk. This is going to sound rather novice I know but do you reformat the harddrive or just put the disk in? I am sorry. I am sure that you smart guys get rather exhausted with us. I do appreciate you trying to help me out.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

Using the Dell Restore disk will reload the operating system and format the disk unless it has an option for a selective restore which will repair the op system without wiping all other data.

To use it you just boot the computer with it in the CD drive.

If you have a Windows System Restore point that existed before the problem started you will only loose data stored after the date of the restore point. I would try this first if you have one.

Did you try uninstalling the fast ethernet adapter, reinstalling it and reconnecting with your broadband modem and DSL ISP?
What happened with the Winsock fix?

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 March 2006 - 04:35 PM.

#9 zrmjsr

zrmjsr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:48 AM

Good Morning. I downloaded the winsox fix to a floppy disk and this was the message that I received, "The RPC server is unavailable." I have no idea what the RPC Server is. Do you know what this is? I also looked for a restore disk from Dell and could not locate one. I have all of the disk that came with the computer together. I am beginning to think that there is a hardware problem. Any more suggestions? I appreciate your help.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:43 AM

RPC is Remote Procedure Call and it's a necessary service for networking. If this service is disabled, Windows will not boot. There is also a Remote Procedure Call Locator service. You might want to open Services and make sure it's enabled. This one won't stop Windows from booting. You can check to make sure it's set properly by going to Start -> Run and type in
services.msc
and hit enter. This service should be set to "Manual." (At least, that's how it's set on my computer.)

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:33 PM

See if this will help:

How Do I Use the Dell™ PC Restore by Symantec Utility?

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&c=us&cs=&s=gen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users