Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing and rebooting even after reformat

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bjj8383

bjj8383

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

My Asus G73JH laptop [Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit] is about 2.5 years old and the other day it began suddenly freezing and rebooting. What I mean by that is the following: A) When it freezes, there is no warning, no gradual slow down, no anything. The mouse instantly refuses to respond, the computer makes no "thinking" internal noises, nothing. I'm forced to hard reboot. B) When it reboots itself, it is also instantly. There is no gradual closing of programs, it's just SHABANG.

This became an issue suddenly. One day it was fine, the next it was doing this unpredictably.

So I decided to go ahead and reformat the thing and re-installed everything via the Asus-provided "AI Recovery Burner" program.

Annnd it's still having the same problems. Not only did I experience several errors when trying to do the million and one Windows updates, but it's still freezing and rebooting. Even in safe mode, it freezes. The timing of these things is unpredictable, it could happen 2 minutes after boot-up or, the computer could run fine for hours. So far, the freezing is much more common than the rebooting.

Assuming the issue was hardware related, I ran Memtest86 last night for 7 iterations and it turned up zero errors.

Please give me suggestions as to what could be wrong. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

I'd suggest starting by checking ram and hd.

To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users