Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Probs installing Win 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sliverz

Sliverz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Iam running Win7 x64 and have run the Windows8 Upgrade Assistant (I have purchased the $14.99 version).During the installation and after the reboot, it goes into a Diskcheck mode and it stalls at 43 or 44%. Of course that it the end of the installation and a messagebox comes up and says Can't install. This is the last operation: Scanning and Repairing Drive(\\?\Volume{yada yada yada -806e6f6e6963} Yada yada is a series of hex values. On each install attempt, the yada differs but the end value - 806e6f6e6963 is the same. These values are in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\MountedDevices.
I'm really not sure what to do with this. I have changed the keys on one of the entries and nothing changed.I was wondering if these can be deleted.

Posted Image

Any assistance would be appreciated as this is driving me crazy. I have searched via google and aside from server issues, I'm at a loss.

TIA
Sliverz

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2012 - 02:46 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Are you left with a usable Windows 7 or is Windows 8 installed and failing on startup?

#3 Sliverz

Sliverz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Yes, I'm left with my Windows 7. No problems with Win 7 ...works as before.

Just can't get my head around the 'Scanning and Repairing Drive(\\?\Volume...etc. The upgrade assistant for Win 8 did not find any conflicts with the hard drives or any other hardwar.

:angry:

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

I suggest you reboot your computer into the Windows Recovery Environment command prompt. Information on how to access it can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

The best method is to tap F8 when your computer starts and when you get to the boot menu, select Repair Your Computer. If that is not an option, then you need to restart your computer with the Windows 7 DVD inserted and boot off of that.

Once you are in the recovery command prompt, type:

chkdsk /F c: and then press enter.

Chkdsk will now scan your drives while they are offline. Let's see if it finds anything that could be causing Windows 8 to not install.

As always, make sure you have a backup of your important data before running any program that could alter your hard drives. For the most part, you should be safe with chkdsk, but better to be safe than sorry.

#5 Sliverz

Sliverz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Many thanks Grinier but none of this works. Firstly I cannot complete the Repair process as it just hangs at the Load Drivers or Next stage. Now.. whan I load the Dos command prompt as Administrator.. it does not recognize "Bootrec" or bcdedit | find"osdevice". Now... the recovery console messagebox told me that it was WinHomePrem with partition size and told me that the location was E:Drive. This is the drive where the Windows 7 install DVD was located.
Curiouser and curiouser.....

I have also developed an additional CD drive that I cannot retrieve any info on. I also have no programs that would initiate a virtual drive.

I do have 2 hard drives. One is partitioned to contain the OS with an adjoining partition for data. The second drive is 1 Tb drive that I have added a second partition to and am going to install win 7 in this part. I will then disconnect the C: drive ( cannot just disable as it has the two partitions) and try to upgrade the new partition on the 1 Tb drive. Maybe its the long way around but I have spent far too long trying this install and the drive to learn more about it has faded.... I mean REALLY faded!

Thank you again for your assistance. It is appreciated.

Sliverz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users