Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express Identity Login

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KellyCQ

KellyCQ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

So I have a freaking master's degree in IT but I am at a loss to help my elderly neighbor with Outlook Express on a Windows XP OS.

Her husband just died so she's had a lot of family/friends around helping her out - one decided to "help" her computer. All of a sudden she is asked to log into an identity when she tries to open Outlook Express (this is not a Windows account login, just an Outlook Express identity login). She does not know the password but says she was able to log into it successfully one time but now she does not know what that password was she used.

I know if she had forgotten her Windows account password I could boot the computer in Linux and grab the password hash and crack it. But I am not sure what to do in this situation. Can anyone recommend a program that can grab this "Identity Login" password or hash of it? I'm seeing some programs to grab passwords but it looks like they are more geared to grabbing browser passwords rather than OS passwords.

I know I could always just set up a new identity for her and re-set up Outlook Express but would that only grab her new emails on the server or would it merge her old stuff too since it is the same account with Time Warner (her ISP). Since her husband just died I know she has lots of unread stuff that she had already downloaded the one time she was able to get in. Plus, like a normal person she has lots of old stuff saved in her email that she would like to continue to have access to.

Any help I can get to help this kind lady would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

She could go to Time Warner website and use Forgot Password to reset the password.

After resetting it online it could then be changed in Outlook Express.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 November 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

I know I could always just set up a new identity for her and re-set up Outlook Express but would that only grab her new emails on the server or would it merge her old stuff too since it is the same account with Time Warner (her ISP).

Hi,

If you setup a new identity you can restore all the old mails by copying the BDX files from the old identity folder to the new one before downloading new e-mails.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

She could copy her husbands dbx files in her folder then she could import them all but that would depend if he setup admin right for himself only. You can't do a search for *.dbx files as it doesn't find them.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users