Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 plaz

plaz

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

I posted the following in the "am i infected" forum here and was told it wasn't a malware problem and to try this forum...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic473692.html

Hello All,

I have an older PC (AMD Athlon II x4 630 Processor) running Windows 7 Home Prem - 64 bit

I noticed about a week ago my mouse was acting up (figured it was a bad mouse and didn't think much about it), soon afterwards I started getting that blue screen of death and it would shut down. My current virus protections is AVG, which I ran. I then ran Malewarebytes, Superantispyware and Spybot in both regular and safe mode. They seem to find a few things but nothing that really looked serious. I tried System Restore but got an error statement that it wasn't functioning correctly because of some type of Volume Shadow component problem (which i researched and turned back on to no avail). Other symptoms are when I try going to control panel or even the microsoft update page they open but are minimized - when I try to open them larger they almost look like they open and go to the far right of my screen out of site. The reason I think it is a virus is that in safe mode the control panels opens right up - but still cant get to microsoft update page.

I have been fortunate and haven't had problems in a long time, and my running of the usual fixes doesn't seem to change anything. This problem seems to be getting worse the last couple of days. What is weird I really don't notice much else wrong with pc. I can still go online without a problem, home page hasn't changed any and haven't noticed pc slowing down at all.

What should I try next?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hello plaz,

STOP 0x00000116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
Usual causes: Video driver, overheating, bad video card, ?BIOS, ?Power to card
Reference: http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000116

In your malware topic with Broni, I see that you have updated the video driver and graphics card temps seem reasonable.

ASUS HD7750 Series
Temperatures
TMPIN0 47 C (116 F) 47 C (116 F) 47 C (116 F)

One concern is the reported voltages. The +3.3V and +12V should be within + or - 5%. They are both lower than the 5% tolerance which may indicate a power supply issue (?Power to card).

FOXCONN ALOE
Voltages
CPU VCORE 2.13 V 2.13 V 2.13 V
VIN1 2.13 V 2.13 V 2.13 V
+3.3V 2.13 V 2.13 V 2.13 V
+5V 5.05 V 5.05 V 5.05 V
+12V 8.51 V 8.51 V 8.51 V

Let's have a further look at your system.

1. ) To help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform. (mirror site)
  • During installation, uncheck "Install the free Google Toolbar along with Speccy."
  • Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot. Click "Yes" to proceed.
  • Click, Copy to Clipboard and paste this address into your next post.
Note: Speccy will not work in Safe Mode.

2. ) I would like to have a more detailed look at your recent minidump files. I will ask you to zip (compress) the most recent minidumps and attach them to your next post following the instructions below.

Please navigate to the the Windows Minidump folder.
  • C:\Windows\Minidump <== this folder .
  • Note that the first 6 digits of each minidump file indicate the date ( 110412-10935-01.dmp).
  • Highlight the 10 most recent minidump files, right mouse click and select Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A Compressed (zipped) folder will appear in the Windows\Minidump folder.
  • When you click Add Reply for your next post, you will have the option to attach the compressed folder (see bottom, left).
  • Please attach the Compressed (zipped) folder to your next post by browsing to the Windows\Minidump folder
    Posted Image
  • Note: The Bleeping Computer Forum has a 512K upload limit on file size.
  • See how to Manage Your Attachments to delete old attachments.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LTxUOqQdDBSOq3ek3ShjyCv

#4 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

I actually didn't have 10 of them to post. I posted all I saw.

#5 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

I am not seeing the zip file on the last one I posted, did I mess it up?

#6 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Ok here it is....

Since Broni had me do all his stuff, the rate of BSOD has diminished greatly. Still can't figure out how control panel and other things open minimized and I cannot open them?

Attached Files

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

Hello,

Your last minidump file was from 10/29/2012, one week ago. Updating the graphics driver possibly solved the problem.

Please attach any new minidump files should the BSODs continue.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Still can't figure out how control panel and other things open minimized and I cannot open them?

See if this helps: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/6vwcg-windows-opens-programs-minimized-taskbar.html

Regards,
Brooks

#9 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

Ok I went to that link

My windows 7 opens programs minimized to the taskbar. If I click on them they flash across the screen and off the right side. If I click on the thumbnail on the taskbar they come back to minimized. Computer and control panel are two that are not working.

and did:

Can you press at the same time the two keys Windows and P on your keyboard and click on Computer only and check?

And/or right-click on an empty space on the Desktop, then click on Screen resolutions, then at the Multiple displays option, select duplicate or only one display.

After I did that my screen went black and stayed like that. I tried to window key/p again but nothing happens. The only way I can now start up is in safe mode - any ideas? I am not sure what happened because from reading it sounded like exactly what I needed to do.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Can you reverse the actions taken to screen resolution via Safe Mode? Or try changing screen resolutions or system restore, if it works.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Damn this is a nitemare. The only way i can see my pc is in safe mode. Restore not working, I have had an issue with restore since the start of all of this. The windows/p thing doesn't seem to work in safe mode. I have gone into resolution and changed that but that doesn't do anything. When i sign in using regular mode it looks good and I see logo, then when it appears to be opening desktop it goes black. I have generally snooped around but not seeing anything to try - actually I'm not to sure what I even did with the windows/p thing.

#12 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Hi,

Keyboard shortcut:

Windows logo key +P = Choose a presentation display mode.
  • The following choices are displayed on the desktop:
  • Computer only
  • Duplicate
  • Extend
  • Projector only.
You should choose Computer only. It is a Windows keyboard shortcut and shouldn't cause any problems.

Try this in Safe Mode:
  • Type: CMD in the search box, then right mouse click on CMD.exe at top of the column and select Run as administrator.
  • At the DOS prompt, type: BCDEDIT /SET VGA ON
    • Note where the spaces are.
    • This option forces the use of 640x480 resolution.
  • Restart the computer and see if it boots to normal Windows.
To reverse the change type: BCDEDIT /SET VGA OFF

Regards,
Brooks

#13 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

Nope that didn't work. Safe mode starts up fine, so does normal but screen goes back and can't see it. Somehow got on this http://tweaks.com/windows/39409/projector-tricks-in-windows-7/ and shut my display off when windows starts. In safe mode I haven't been able to find anything to fix it.

#14 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Try this:

Windows key + P = Computer Only -> Duplicate -> Extend -> Projector only

The only one that leaves the computer screen black is Projector Only, which is what you may currently be set to. So you need to log onto normal Windows blind, wait for the Desktop to load, then press Windows key + P, then press right arrow key once to wrap around from Projector Only to Computer Only, then press Enter.

Regards,
Brooks

#15 plaz

plaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hot damn that did it - you are the man! That one had me scared, I wasn't sure what to do. I still would like getting my system restore working, when i first open it it says I haven't set a restore point yet and to do so go to system protection, when I do I get:

"There was ab unexpected error in the property page:

System restore encountered an error please try to run system restore again (0x81000203)

Please close the property page and try again"

When try it again I get the same thing.

Thanks for everything so far!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users