Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Display Going Out!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Barrax

Barrax

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:56 PM

i have a hp lavilion f1703 monitor and the color keeps getting dimmer and then BLACK SCREEN... and the monitor is still on.. i cut the monitor off and back on, the display shows, but its dim, and then BLACK SCREEN again.... :thumbsup:

why.. i checked the ports or w/e they all seem to be in.... and how come the fan in my computer isn't working? i think that may have something to do with it..

help plz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barrax

Barrax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:21 PM

Okay guys, heres an update, i think the main problem is my fan inside my computer, it must have been over heating seeing as my computer was really hot. XD thats why the video would go out i guess.

So with my quick thinking skills XD i got a little fan, open my computer and let the fan blow inside, everything seems to be working fine now..

BUT i still need to figure out how to get my little fan in my computer to work now.. it had alot of dust it in it btw...

id appreciate the help guys :thumbsup:

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

Hi Barrax,

Yep the fan not turning would do it. If it is the fan that sits on top of your processor, you need to replace that one as soon as possible. You can easily damage your processor chip making it worthless. The other fans are important too... as they keep things cool.

If you can tell us the make and model of your computer, and where the faulty fan is, we can help you find a replacement. Again, I wouldn't wait to long with replacing it.

Good luck,

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

I wouldn't turn the computer on to use it again until the fans were all running.

Hopefully it is just a fan, not the power supply (which has a fan in it), the processor fan, or the Motherboard itself which contols the fans.

#5 Barrax

Barrax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

its the fan that u can see in the back... >_>

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:22 PM

That is the power supply fan. What is the make and model of your computer?

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:18 PM

OK, folks. How can a bad fan make a display get dimmer ? Make the system crash or reboot, sure, but darken the display ??? Also "the fan that you see in the back" may be a case fan. Many power supply fans are not visable from the back. Also, most, if not all, cases from HP-Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc., come with proprietary power supplies which cannot be easily replaced and at anywhere near a reasonable price. And their propritary motherboards cannot be installed in an standard case.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:25 PM

Both the power supply fan and the system fan are both usually visable in the back.

The power supply is usually mounted at the top of the rear of your computer and the system fan is lower down.

Yes - they can cause the dimming monitor problem because if you have a seperate video card it may be overheating and if the power supply is overheating it can change the power and voltage output.

Either can and will cause permanent damage if it hasn't already - any overheating problem can.

Both can cause problems to your processor, video card and motherboard, in fact, every component in your system.

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:42 PM

Either can and will cause permanent damage if it hasn't already - any overheating problem can.

Yes, and there's also a problem with accumulative damage - even though things seem to be working fine, components that have been damaged will fail later.

#10 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:35 PM

Agreed ... heat kills.

One word about the power supply and oddities...

Yes - they can cause the dimming monitor problem because if you have a seperate video card it may be overheating and if the power supply is overheating it can change the power and voltage output.

Agreed Enthusiast...

I have seen a faulty power supply make a computer look like it is possessed. So yes, the power supply can make the monitor do strange things.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:53 PM

What is the model number of the computer - the f1703 is just the monitor?

#12 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

If opening the case and blowing air in makes the problem go away, its clear that some component is marginal, probably either the power supply or the video card. Running Everest free 2.20 may tell you how the power supply is operating. The 3.3V, 5V and 12V outputs should be within +/- 5% of their nominal value.

3.3V: 3.135 to 3.465
5V: 4.75 to 5.25
12V: 11.4 to 12.6

Replacing a bad case fan should be pretty easy. Replacing a heatsink fan would be somwhat more difficult and replacing a power supply fan would be much more challenging and would probably require soldering tools and supplies. When buying fans try to find a ball bearing (one or two) design and get a speed in the range of 2000 to 2500 rpm for, say, an 80mm fan. High speed fans can make enough noise to drive you crazy !

Some 80mm fans are:

4-pin connector, 80mm fan
3-pin connector, 80mm fan

IMO the site in the links above is a fantastic source for all types of computer components. Do a search on "80mm case cooling fan" (no quotes) in the keyword search box to see many other similar fans. In general, 2-ball fans are better quality than single ball ones. Don't get the sleeve bearing type or any fan that doesn't mention what kind of bearings it has.

Note the style of the power connectors - either the large 4-pin Molex connector or the small 3-pin kind. The larger connector can be plugged into spare power supply leads. The 3-pin ones must be plugged into a motherboard fan connector - if it has any at all.

Since your system is marginal, heat-wise, look for places inside the case's walls where there might be holes cut into the sheet metal for installing additional intake or exhaust fans. Intake fan locations are always on the front of the case and exhaust fans always go in the back. Even one extra fan could go a long way to make your system more dependable. But, first, replace and slow moving or stopped fans. And, if you do have to replace a fan, go ahead and look for a place to put an additional fan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users