Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fax software for Windows 7 without fax modem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Windows 7 Home Edition, SP 1
Internet connection via DSL modem

Can faxes be sent & received without the use of a fax modem?
If so, any recommendations for fax software?
I tried launching "Windows Fax & Scan" but in the setup, the software wants a modem connected to the computer & apparently my DSL modem is not what it is looking for.
Any suggestions?
[Yes, I know I can go to a copy shop, but the nearest one to my house is a 45 minute drive. I live in the boonies.]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Offhand I don't think there is a method. Faxes go down phone lines so you have to be able to dial up. You either need some hardware to connect (modem!) or you can use an online service. If you are using a service like Vonage (Internet phone service) you can get a fax line for only $12.99 a month. If you have umpteen cellphone contracts that is probably a drop in the bucket!

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Without a dialup modem you can't send a fax from your computer the 'conventional' way. Your only alternatives are to upload a document to an online fax service, as was suggested by Nanobyte. Some are pay per fax and some are free with ads on your fax, and other variations. Google 'online fax services'. Your last resort is making the drive to the copy store.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

I have dial-up modems in all my PCs but out of interest I looked up USB external modems (USB one end, phone jack the other). $20 or less. That sounds a good deal if you plan on sending a few. I've never had mine permanently connected so I can't offer two-way PC fax experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users