Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jiesstonedalot

jiesstonedalot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:41 PM

Hi i thought i would change my windows xp pro ,To windows xp home ,so i put in disk till i came accross a dll file that would not load so i continued anyway ,turns out this file is needed ,windows will load then i get the blue screen with the message as == This application failed to start because BROWSERUI.dll was not found Reinstalling the application may fix the problem== my problem is i cant get windows up so as i can reinstall the disk,is there another way ,im not so gd with computers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:46 PM

Why would you want to change from Pro to Home???????

What kind of "disk" did you "put in"?

In order to accomplish changing the operating system from Pro to Home you would need to reformat the hard drive and then use a full install (not an "upgrade") Microsoft XP Home cd that has never been used to install XP Home in any other computer and has a valid 25 digit Key that has never been used before on any other computer.

After installing it you will need to authenticate the installation within 30 days or the system will shut down.

If you used an old installation disk that did not have SP1 and Sp2 included you need to get them asap, and you need to authenticate before MS will allow you to download them and subsequent critical updates.

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 March 2006 - 03:56 PM.

#3 jiesstonedalot

jiesstonedalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

i was having problems updating xp pro,as i didnt have a validation key

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:58 PM

Unless you have a valid license for Home you are going to have the same problem.

Do you?

Browseui.dll is a component of Internet Explorer which means that IE did not install properly.

Can you get past the blue screen or does it force the computer to shut down?

It could have been either a problem with the installation disk or just a quirk.

Try a repair install of XP Home.

Boot with the XP Home cd in the cd drive and when it asks whether it is a full installation or a repair choose full installation, it will then progress and reach a point where it asks again - choose repair installation this time. That will load XP over itself and possibly repair the problem.

Let us know.

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 March 2006 - 04:04 PM.

#5 jiesstonedalot

jiesstonedalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:08 PM

the validation key for win xp home yes .windows has been installed it says ther is a dll file neededBROWSERUI.dll,then windows goes to a blue screen ,i didnt have the validation key for xp pro as i got the comp from a second hand shop a few years ago ,which has gon bust ,and windows would not let me download n update

#6 jiesstonedalot

jiesstonedalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:11 PM

all i can get is windows task manager, and i dont know how to get the cd to start from there. is there another way apart from run in command prompt?

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:06 PM

To install XP Home you boot your computer with it in the cd drive - you do not run it once the computer is booted.

If you can get to the place where you can access the task manager, can you get a command prompt and run fdisk?

You are obviously using another computer now to get to this forum.

You can remove the hard drive from the computer with Win XP Pro and install it as a slave in the computer you are using now, and use the Windows utility in "My Computer", properties to format the disk.

Then reinstall it is the other computer, install your Win XP Home disk in the cd drive, boot it and choose install.

Be aware, that if that disk and license was ever used in another computer before it will not validate.

If you do move the hd to another computer to format it make sure you set the jumpers properly when moving the drive, and again when moving it back.

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 March 2006 - 11:12 PM.

#8 jiesstonedalot

jiesstonedalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

excellent news that it can be reformatted through daughters computer.
can u tell me how to do it exacly. as i really dont want to ,kill daughters pc,thanks for this info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users