Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTUSER.DAT file?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 privatetimm

privatetimm

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

What information is in the ntuser.dat file? Is is simply profile information or does it contain information about browsing as well? I use ccleaner to delete the .dat files in the temp internet file area, but I don't want to have browsing history, especially accounts, exposed someplace else. Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

I would leave the ntuser.dat file alone. See here and here.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 privatetimm

privatetimm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

I would leave the ntuser.dat file alone. See here and here.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I actually had seen both those links before I asked the question here and the reason I asked the question was there seemed to be conflicting information about what is in the NTUSER.dat file. Some sites say it is profile information only, others say it contains browsing history. I don't mind rebuilding my profile on occassion if it preserves privacy of browsing, but I don't want more work than is necessary. If it does contain browsing history then every bank and brokerage company, etc I use is in that history and I'd just as soon that it didn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users