Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Product Key for Reformat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hi, I'm preparing to format my PC, but I'm not sure what product key to use. On the side of my PC has a key that starts with H-. But, when I use Speccy to find it, the key it finds starts with a 6-. This a genuine computer I've purchased from Dell. When key should I use?

Edited by BrainyTehBrain, 04 November 2012 - 08:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hi,use the key on the side of your computer,OR it would be at the bottom if it were a laptop(most likely).İf your system came pre-installed the OEM mass product key will be listed by SPECCY
That's of no use to you.İf you however simply restore the pc to factory settings,then the activation will be done automatically.You don't have to enter any product key then.

Edited by Julia G, 04 November 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

I think you should write down the speccy report product key also. Different Windows version have specific product keys, so you might be needing either one when you are prompted in the last leg of installing.

Tekken

#4 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Thanks! I have already formatted this computer once with an installation disk though. Also, I seem to have lost the Windows 7 installation disk that I used last time. Could I just download from here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html
and use that?

Edited by BrainyTehBrain, 04 November 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#5 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

Please disregard.

Edited by Julia G, 04 November 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

<<Could I just download from here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html
and use that?>>

We cannot tell you what to do...but I think it worthwhile to advise you that...Microsoft has legal actions pending against a great many websites today which host links to digital river downloads of MS products, which Microsoft states is a legal violation. If you want to read more about such...use Google to reference "DMCA".

That being the case...I don't believe that anyone here will suggest that you do what you stated. Maybe...you ought to contact PC W0rld and ask them since it's their reference to such activity.

If you have an OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) system...perhaps you should contact them about the use of keys for the system they sold you.

Finally...I suggest that you read Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users