Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting a persistent cookie

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bastie

Bastie

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

How can the persistent cookie:name@info.gomplayer.com/ in the Temporary Internet Files folder be deleted ? It remains when all other cookies have been deleted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

Hi -
First, open Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Select Medium High and tick the 3 boxes --

Have you ever used TFC Cleaner by OldTimer. This may help clean out unwanted cookies etc -

Download TFC by OldTimer http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe to your desktop.

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Let us know how it goes -

#3 Bastie

Bastie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:26 AM

"Let us know how it goes" I will, as soon as I get a chance to try out the suggestions. For now, I have added gomplayer.com to the list of blocked websites in the Privacy tab of Internet Options. Even if that works - I can not see that it will cause the DELETION of a cookie that is already 'there' - which is what my inquiry is about.
In the Internet Options of I.E.9 I do not get the choices in the Privacy tab which you suggest.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

Tekken

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

In the Internet Options of I.E.9 I do not get the choices in the Privacy tab which you suggest.

I run XP Pro SP3, with I.E.8, and Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium, with I.E.9, and the options given are there on both Operating Systems ??
What is your Make and Model, and what current Operating System are you running ??

Also the link from jhayz is a very good Tutorial for you to follow -

Thank You -

#6 Bastie

Bastie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

I also run both those O/Ss - the GOMPlayer issue arose in the Win7. I've not looked in WinXP. I don't think the PC models are likely to be an issue. I believe that the 'medium' option offers, but after some intermediate step that was not listed. I will look at the jhayz link - possibly tomorrow when I'll have more time.

#7 Bastie

Bastie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Aussie Addict _ I've had a chance to try http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe - Its cumbersome and time consuming and does not delete the gomplayer cookie in question.

jhayz - I must have missed your suggestion and will try it at next opportunity.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Many thousands of people do use TFC on a regular basis to Fully Remove all Temo Files. It is very well recommended -

Do you still have the GOM PLAYER installed ?? You will never remove it while it is installed - This Chinese site is where you got it from -

A few options for you to try -
FIRST -
Can you create a new folder on the desktop and drag the cookie into it.
Close the folder then right click on it > delete.

NEXT -
How to Clean up Adobe Flash Player browsing cache
Flash player Website Storage Settings panel for removal of these stored settings
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

FINALLY -
Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Delete.
Confirm each time with Ok.
Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

EXTRA -
Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop
Junkware Removal Tool by thisisu
•Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
•Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Seven, right-mouse click it and select Run as Administrator.
•The tool will open and start scanning your system.
•Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
•On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
•Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

EDITED to add JRT -

Edited by noknojon, 09 November 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#9 Bastie

Bastie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

"Do you still have the GOM PLAYER installed ?? You will never remove it while it is installed." I have it installed and intend to KEEP it installed. I just want to remove the cookie. The cookie does not bother me, but its indelibility does.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

I have it installed and intend to KEEP it installed. I just want to remove the cookie.

Sorry but you just answered this long question (topic) - - - -
Each time that you enable / use this program, or you leave it enabled, the program places a tracking cookie -
Read the full definition of what a cookie is and what it is there for and I think you can close the topic - - - -
HTTP cookie - Wikipedia

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is usually a small piece of data sent from a website and stored in a user's web browser while a user is browsing a website. When the user browses the same website in the future, the data stored in the cookie can be retrieved by the website to notify the website of the user's previous activity. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember the state of the website or activity the user had taken in the past. This can include clicking particular buttons, logging in, or a record of which pages were visited by the user even months or years ago.
Although cookies cannot carry viruses, and cannot install malware on the host computer, tracking cookies and especially third-party tracking cookies are commonly used as ways to compile long-term records of individuals' browsing histories a major privacy concern that prompted European and US law makers to take action in 2011.

#11 Bastie

Bastie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

I would just like to comment that this has NOTHING to do with browsing - it is for a PLAYER.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

GOM Player - Wikipedia
It is in fact a downloaded South Korean computer program, not a stand alone item like a ?? keyboard, but a program that you are running.
Every time that you connect to the player it ensures the cookie is there. Remove the program and you remove the cookie.
The more you log onto and use this installed program the less chance of ever removing their cookie.

I have NO idea about this program, others may know of it. But my WOT rating listed OK. It is what you are asking for - Use at your own risk -
The first 3 links are just descriptions of super cookies and general site details - The 3rd link is the Download link - Please read the site First -

What are the evercookies?
How to delete the evercookies?
Site Details >> Delete cookies, history, cache and Index.dat files with Mil Shield 7.9

The list includes many kinds of media players, office applications, download .... GOM Player, Haihaisoft Universal Player, KMPlayer, MPlayer, Media Player

Download Link >> Download the free trial version of Mil Shield 7.9
4.06 MB - 25 sec with broadband or 12 minutes with dial-up link.

All details were simply found by Googling GOMPlayer and Remove GOMPlayer cookies

I hope this finally helps you -

I would just like to comment that this has NOTHING to do with browsing - it is for a PLAYER. << The Player is a Downloaded / Installed / Operating / Program.

#13 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

I had to smile as I read this thread. While I'm ignorant of GOM (ignorant generally some may say) I have to side with Noknojon. If it were my PC, GOM Player would be on the slow boat to Pyongyang. If it's very presence is creating persistent cookies, it's malware. Even if it is viewed solely as a player, it generates a cookie that is visible to others when you browse on other business.

I found the following at GOM's site:

"Cookies

We may place a text file called a "cookie" in the browser files of your computer. The cookie itself does not contain Personal Information although it will enable us to relate your use of this site to information that you have specifically and knowingly provided. But the only personal information a cookie can contain is information you supply yourself. A cookie can't read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites. Gretech uses cookies to track user traffic patterns (as described above). Our advertising system delivers a one-time cookie to better track ad impressions and click rates.

You can refuse cookies by turning them off in your browser. If you've set your browser to warn you before accepting cookies, you will receive the warning message with each cookie. You do not need to have cookies turned on to use this site. However, you do need cookies to participate actively in discussion forums, polling and surveys."

If the latter para is not true, then you cannot believe a word they say in their privacy statement.

#14 Bastie

Bastie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Thank you Aussie Addict - I will follow up this new (to me) term 'evercookie' through the links you gave.
Nanobyte - "You can refuse cookies by turning them off in your browser." I do not want to miss out on advantages that cookies might bestow, so I do not turn 'them' off. But a particular one refusing to leave, is 'abusing its hospitality' as far as I am concerned. I have no (other) reason to object to the Player, so it will stay.

#15 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

I don't object to cookies - I keep the ones for the sites I use. However, I can see no reason for a site to use any sort of persistent cookie. Why would someone go to all that trouble? Normal cookies hang around for as long as you want and you can delete them whenever you want. Your choice of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users