Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total File Deletion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jim2

jim2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

How do I clean all files that I deleted? My teenage friends were on the computer and added games from the I-net. Also they went to sites I do not want on this computer. It is a loaner from my boss. I do not want to return it to him with stuff like that on it. I know that the files remain. How do I erase them? I do want to format the HD.
Jim2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

"I do want to format the HD"

Posted Image

Although I think that is a bit extreme...
Think about it before you do it...

Edited by medab1, 21 March 2006 - 07:33 PM.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:53 PM

If this is a loaner from your boss and you format the hard drive, how are you going to get the operating system back on it? Anything that was installed on the machine should be "uninstalled" before deleting anything, from Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs. Unwanted files such as music or pictures can be deleted.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:23 PM

Deleting the offending files and then empying the recycle bin will get rid of the files unless someone uses special software tools to try to recover deleted files. Do those two steps and you will be fine.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

You can overwrite selected files with software that is available so it cannot be recovered.

As you now know, allowing friends to use business equipment you do not own is never a good idea.

You can do a system cleanup:

How to use CleanUp! to protect your privacy

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-cleanup/

#6 oldcorpsgunny

oldcorpsgunny

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:01 AM

I have used CCleaner to get rid of files; it's fast and thorough and, best of all, free. It also cleans out cookies and spyware. Also, as Enthusiast noted, you should not let allow your friends to use equipment that was loaned to you, you were fortunate that you only have to clean up some files.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:17 AM

You can use the Sherdder feature in Spybot S&D to wipe (writeover) individual files. This will make them unrecoverable. It is the same as when you wipe a drive instad of just formating. It destroys the data making it non-usable.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 jim2

jim2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:22 AM

:thumbsup: Hey everybody! This is Jim2

******I meant to say that I DO NOT!!!!!!!! want to format the DH******

I also meant to say my teenage SON'S friends. (I don't have any teenage friends) We had about 15 boys over here for March madness and they are on the I-net every five minutes checking games ect. to see how they are doing on their brackets to see if they are going to win any money in the pool. A few stayed the night and who knows what sites they went to. (Victoria's secret ect.)
The new problem is the pop ups (dating- S-E-X ect.) with pictures that would make a sailor blush.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:46 AM

Boys will be boys, I guess. Now Dad has to clean up after them.

1. Update and scan with your anti-virus.
2. Use at least Spybot Search and Destroy, and Ad-AwareSE (both are free) to search for malware. Links to these can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

See if these will delete the malware causing these pop-ups. If not, then post a HJT log so our volunteer team of experts can examine the log and work with you to delete whatever your son's friends did to the computer,

Here are the instructions for posting a HijackThis! log:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users