Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Discovery cannot be enabled

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 incogitatus

incogitatus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

Hi All!
I'm a n0ob here. I'm trying to gain complete network access between a Windows 7 desktop (Win7 Home Premium SP 1) and a laptop (Win7 Ultimate). I remember back in the old days of XP, all you had to do is enable file sharing, right click on the hard drive or folder you'd like to share, name it, share it and press "okay." The files I'd like to share are on the Desktop computer. When I go to HomeGroup/Advanced Sharing Settings, and make changes, press save, none of the settings actually save. I'm trying to turn on "Network Discovery" and "File and print sharing."

Is HomeGroup the only way to share files over a network?

Thanks for your help!
Anthony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:59 AM

Hi,you may find the info on this link helpful, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/why-wont-the-advanced-settings-under-homegroup/8bfd6817-7d17-4cfe-88f1-8ee559ac6046?msgId=07bd1528-79bf-459d-bb03-7b4f5b893f7f

Please read the entire page.

Edited by Julia G, 04 November 2012 - 05:01 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

<<Is HomeGroup the only way to share files over a network?>>

No, it is not.

Homegroup is the more secure way (requiring specific authorized access and psssword), but all systems using it must be Win 7. To share files with XP (which I do), I basically followed the proceures described at http://tr1x.com/how-to-share-files-folders-windows-7-without-homegroups.html , although I just stubled around until I did pretty much as described :).

Since you have 2 Win 7 systems...I believe that you have a choice to use Homegroup or simple networking with file sharing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users