Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no cursor in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 extraneous

extraneous

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure of this is the right category for this question. I'm writing on behalf of my dad, who has a virus freezing his computer. I've had the same problem before, so I instructed him to do the same thing as I did, which was to open the computer in safe mode with networking and download roguekiller, but when he starts up in safe mode he has no cursor, and the arrows, tab and enter keys sometimes don't respond. So he got as far as downloading roguekiller, but then couldn't click the "scan" button because no keys would respond and the mouse doesn't work in this mode. I don't know what to tell him because I could use my mouse in safe mode. Is this normal, or is there something wrong with his cursor settings?
Thanks a lot if you can help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Please post the make and model of this computer.

Does this computer freeze immediately after it starts, or can it be used for short periods?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 extraneous

extraneous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'll have to check with him the make and model of his computer and get back to you, sorry. He said the computer didn't freeze at all - it did everything he asked of it but he had no cursor and the keyboard sometimes responded (if he was on the website) and sometimes didn't (when the window appeared asking him to click on "scan" to run roguekiller).

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

If this is a laptop try an external keyboard. If it is a desktop try a different keyboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 extraneous

extraneous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Thanks very much for your suggestions, I'll pass them on to him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users