Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built-In Mic and Webcam Not Working

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Proguerammer

Proguerammer

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hello everybody,

For some time now, almost a year, I have been without a webcam. And now, as of last night, I am beginning to have issues with my microphone. Both of these components are built into my SONY VAOI VGN-AW290, and had worked great since the purchase.

Although I know an easy fix would be to go buy a new mic and/or webcam, I would rather be able to fix the hardware currently on my computer.

My main concern is the microphone. Last night, while on Skype with friends, my microphone cut out, making the device recognition sound (as if I unplugged a USB drive from my laptop). It stayed off for some time, and then suddenly came back, playing the recognition sound again as if I had just plugged it back in. Now, as I said, the mic is built in, and so clearly this is a hardware issue, and I'm wondering what I can do about it.

I am willing to open up my laptop, and I have in the past (after the warranty had already ended), but I only know enough about the actual inside components of a computer to take out my RAM, and clean my fans and heat sink. I wouldn't know where to begin in order to find the microphone or the webcam. One thing to note is that when the microphone goes out, SOMETIMES if I lightly tap my laptop, it has a chance to come back on. But likewise, I notice that the movement is also likely a cause to it going off. So, is this a matter of something simple being "loose"? Does something just need to be reconnected? Tightened? Or is this beyond me and what I can do at home... Will I need to take my laptop to a shop, or settle for a new external mic?

This laptop has been amazing to me over the years and I'd like to see it live for a few more with all my components still functioning, so any and all help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users