Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iris - My First Build

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ex0syphen

ex0syphen

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hi guys. I decided to design a custom computer and I want to make sure I have everything and that it will all work together.
I put everything in an Amazon wishlist: http://amzn.com/w/RGZAK8VK32BZ
I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a look and see if everything would work together and I'm not forgetting anything.

Thanks!
-ex0

EDIT: Is 650 watts too much or not enough? Do I need a network card or is it integrated with the motherboard? (I need WiFi)

Edited by ex0syphen, 03 November 2012 - 05:17 PM.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

Yes it will all work but you don't need the thermal paste as the stock cooler already has some and 650W is perfect. The Ethernet port is integrated into the motherboard but you will have to buy a separate wifi card like this(Remember to download the latest drivers from the D-Link website). Another thing is if you want to run the ram at 2133mhz, you will have to manually increase it in the Bios. Is this a gaming system? The graphics card is a workstation card and if you were going to game i'd get a non-workstation card like this.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 ex0syphen

ex0syphen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Ok, I'll remove the thermal paste from the list. The system is for gaming, video editing, and 3D design and rendering. The reviews on the graphics card said it would be good for gaming and work. Thanks for the info on the WiFi and power level.

EDIT: You said I have to manually increase RAM speed in BIOS. Does this mean I should get a different RAM, or just increase it like you said?

Edited by ex0syphen, 03 November 2012 - 09:15 PM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

A few items of note...

What exactly is this computer being used for? Unless you are doing some hardcore number crunching, you probably don't need that powerful of a processor for most tasks. The FX-8350 will probably do you just as good and save you cash. Of course, you will need to pair it with a compatible motherboard. If you are going to be using SLI/Crossfire, you may want to consider ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX as the chipset is designed for this technology. Otherwise, I would get the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970.

Windows 8 is out, you can get a system builder copy of Windows 8 Professional 64-bit OEM. The Pro version of Windows 8 is equal to the Ultimate version of Vista/7. The Start Menu is a bit jarring, so I suggest using the desktop as much as possible until you get used to it. You also don't need that security software package when Microsoft Security Essentials is free and will do very well. In Windows 8, Security Essentials replaces Windows Defender and is built-in.

There are major differences between workstation graphics cards and consumer level graphics. Workstation cards are meant for users who value computational accuracy over speed, consumer cards are the opposite. CAD applications are an example. Therefore, if you are doing anything else, a card designed for gaming is really a better choice. That specific card you chose is meant for medical imaging. The XFX Double D FX797GTDFC Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition costs about $30 more than what you have chosen and is much faster, plus, it is AMD's top-of-the-line graphics card for consumers. Besides, with all the pack-ins AMD is offering on that card, the price is even lower.

The monitor you've chosen is a standard TN-based model, nothing special. IPS monitors are a little more expensive, but have better color accuracy and wider viewing angles. The ASUS VS239H-P Black 23" 5ms is an IPS panel.

Have you considered getting an SSD to install the OS and a couple of your most frequently used applications on? The drives have limited capacity, but their speed makes them perfect for fast OS and application operations. I suggest the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5.

As for the RAM, You can still use that RAM, but the motherboard will not automatically set itself to use that RAM's maximum speed since it considered overclocked. To use that speed, you will need to go into the BIOS and set it for that speed. In most real world conditions, you will likely not experience much of a performance difference between that RAM and RAM operating at a standard speed.

3939.png

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

Random stuff:

Rethink the video card. It is in no way, shape, or form, a gaming card. It is a workstation card with a 128bit memory controller. For that price you can walk into the top tier of gaming cards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127671 That being said. if you are going to spend hours with some sort of modeling software that needs heavy CUDA support................

Ditto on the monitor suggestion. I have the VS239, and it is indeed happy. To me, not a huge improvement colorwise coming from a top line TN panel, but the viewing angles make a big monitor more livable. When you shop around for VS239, there are a few variants. Some have 5ms refreshes, some 14ms refreshes. Get the 5ms (like DJBPace07 linked).

As far as the AMD recommendation, just can't go that. Stick with Intel, you will be happy with it. AMD is great for an HTPC build, or a build where there are severe budget constraints, other than those two things, Intel is the better platform. Compare benchmarks between a 3770K, or any i7, and an FX8350. It ain't pretty for AMD.

WIN8 or WIN7? If you are going the WIN8 route make damned sure all of your potential applications are happy running under WIN8. Posting this from a WIN8 machine(with "START 8"). Kills me to say it, but WIN8 is likely a better OS (with a really screwed up interface). Some core CADCAM, 3D modeling software are finicky about operating systems.

Antivirus deal 'o the day, http://www.amazon.com/Kaspersky-Anti-Virus-2013-3-Users/dp/B008MR2I8U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1352028320&sr=8-4&keywords=kaspersky+internet+security+2013
Agree with above though, Security essentials is good enough.........unless you like hanging out on the seedier sides of the web.

Ditto on the SSD suggestion as well, but I consider 256GB as minimum size for a new build. 120/128GB gets crowded fast with apps and a few games. Current favorites, perf and dollar based, Crucial M4 and Samsung 830, in 256GB flavors(when they are in the $160 range) . Have both. An SSD is really the most noticeable upgrade you can make on a system. It's speed sticks out like a sore thumb compared to mechanical hard drives. Use the SSD as a primary, and a regular hard drive for storage.

I am in the same upgrade mood. I have been trying to make the decision between 1155 and 2011. Leaning toward a 3770K and an Asrock Z77 OC Formula at this time, but not pulling a trigger until end of the month.

Have fun with your build.

Edited by dpunisher, 04 November 2012 - 06:49 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 ex0syphen

ex0syphen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for the help. I am going to stay with Windows 7, because I tried Windows 8 and hated and some of my programs don't support it. I have my reasons for getting ESET. I will get a different video card, but I need one for gaming and 3D stuff. Any ideas? If I get a SSD, could I use the Intel thing to transfer frequently ysed stuff to it?

EDIT: The Intel thing is Smart Response Technology.

EDIT 2: I definitely want to stay with an Intel processor, even if it is a bit more expensive.

Edited by ex0syphen, 04 November 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

"Smart Response" is pointless when you have an SSD as your main drive.

As far as video cards, this is where you might have to do some research yourself.

The programs you use can either be CUDA or OPEN CL accelerated applications, or neither. CUDA is going to be in the realm of NVidia products, Open CL is used by both. Caveat, the AMD/ATI 7XXX cards are GPGPU monsters compared to the NVidia 6XX series cards (just look at bitcoin miners). NVidia stripped out a lot of GPGPU functionality to get their GPUs to fit performance/thermal envelopes. You really have to take each application by itself and see what it needs, from a GPGPU standpoint, and make your decision. If your apps are exclusively, or perform better with CUDA, then you lean towards NVIDIA. Likewise, if an app is happy with OPEN CL, then you lean heavily towards ATI/AMD cards. Scuttlebut- NVidia is supposed to release a consumer priced videocard with a more "complete" GPGPU compute core in 2Q2013, but who knows.

All I can add is be realistic with your goals. If you are going to spend multiple hours a day doing 3D modeling work for a living, get a specialized card, Quattro or FirePro. Just realize the limitations of those cards when you want to play games or do some other non work related things. If you are just playing around, go for a high end consumer card and live with the GPGPU performance it has.

Just an opinion, I could be wrong.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

What exactly is this computer being used for?

For most people AMD is just fine for non-HTPC builds like mine. Actual performance with what you are using in real-world is what matters. For gaming, it really isn't important which processor you use past a certain threshold. Remember, with games, they are usually GPU bound. That said, with certain number crunching operations, you may want to opt for a more powerful processor. The people who actually NEED high-end CPU's is actually rather small. As for Windows 7 or 8, Windows 8 is largely Windows 7 with a Start menu and some under-the-hood improvements. Usually, finicky, or poorly coded, applications have issues running under Windows 8. It may take a little time for the application to be updated to support the new OS. With the graphics cards, it isn't so cut-and-dry as I don't know of any that can handle both workstation precision and gaming performance.

Edited by DJBPace07, 04 November 2012 - 12:56 PM.

3939.png

#9 ex0syphen

ex0syphen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

The computer is going to be used for games (mainly MineCraft), but also for video editing (After Effects), 3D rendering (Cinema 4D), and photo editing (Photoshop). Working on the photo, video, and 3d stuff is more important than gaming for me. Also, the reason I want a good processor is because I like to contribute to cloud computing projects (which is mainly number crunching). I'm looking at SSDs to put my OS and software on and put everything else to the 2TB.

EDIT: Can a workstation card even put out 20-30 fps on a game?

Edited by ex0syphen, 04 November 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#10 ex0syphen

ex0syphen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Found a SSD, added it to list. What do you think?

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Is Minecraft the only game you play? If it is, a 7970 orr a GTX680 is an overkill. Based from what i know on a workstation card, it can play games at a certain limit.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#12 ex0syphen

ex0syphen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, only Minecraft. Should I get a workstation card, because I do a lot of photo, video, video effects, and 3D?

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Well if the programs you use, can take advantage of workstation card then yes. Also the SSD you have chose, is a fine choice :thumbup2:

>Michael 

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

20 fps to 30 fps, that is ridiculously low. Always aim for 60 fps with games as that is the typical maximum refresh rate of most monitors, that said, I read about Cinema4D and Photoshop and how they work with GPU's here and here, there doesn't seem to be much difference. With games however, there will be an extreme difference between the Quadro and the Radeon above.

As for number crunching, what programs specifically are you running? Some may take advantage of HyperThreading in Intel CPU's better than AMD, on the flipside, AMD doesn't use HyperThreading but actual cores, programs that favor these physical cores over HT may get a slight edge with AMD.

3939.png

#15 ex0syphen

ex0syphen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

I did some research, and I think I'm going to get this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195119

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users