Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop wont boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 muffun

muffun

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

hi people
not sure if i posted in correct bit.
hope every1 is well. Im Dan and i have my mother in laws laptop im trying to fix.
all of a sudden just went black and now cant do anything. when i turned it on i saw compaq screen and press esc to enter boot options. after that it just stays black. a ran a few tests in bios and said hard disk failed. i bought a new 1 today and put it in. turned on the computer went into bios and changed the settings to boot from cd. put my windows cd in and after the compaq screen nothing again. loaded the windows disc on my usb stick from my desktop pc and then changed in bios to boot from usb but still nothing. can any1 help please?
thanks in advance
Dan

the model is a compaq presario cq70
and the part number is nf214ea#abu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

When you press Esc does a page open with F key options?

If this page is opening are you pressing either F1 or F10 to enter the BIOS?

If you do enter the BIOS are you making the CD-ROM the first device in the boot order?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 muffun

muffun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

hi thanks for getting back to me. yes when i press esc i get start up menu which gives me some f key commands. i can press f10 and i have set boot from cd as the first 1. i sometimes cant enter bios. i can press f10 at the beginning and it will just hang or enter and i can press f9 for boot options and select cd or press f10 in that option to take me to bios but that doesnt always work. once cd option is chosen the computer resets and starts up . u can hear the dvd drive kick in and then as soon as pass the esc for options and compaq screen it hangs

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Is this the Advanced Boot Options you are able to enter with Esc?

If it is there should be the options for Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration, see if you can boot into Safe Mode. If you can try doing a System Restore to a date prior to the current problem.

If that doesn't work try doing the Last Known Good Configuration.

If you can boot from into Safe Mode you could also us the recovery partition to set the operating system back to the way it came out of the box. This means that any data, pictures, or applications that were added will be lost. You can read about this at this site, scroll down to Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager from within Windows Vista.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 muffun

muffun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

as i hardrive was bad and it said failed i had to replace it. so i have a brand new hard drive in there with nothig on it. so i need to be able to boot from cd to load a operating sysytem. when i press esc i go into start up menu. i cant get in safe mode or last known good configuration.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

as i hardrive was bad and it said failed i had to replace it. so i have a brand new hard drive in there with nothig on it.

I knew this, you told me.Posted Image

When you enter the BIOS does the CD-ROM show?

Have you tried booting from this disc in another computer?

#7 muffun

muffun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

yes i tried the disk on my desktop pc and works fine :) if i go into boot options by pressing f9 the dvd drive is there and i clicked enter on as i cant always enter bios settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users