Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open a specific website

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 3boysmom

3boysmom

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

We have 3 computers on the same home network. Yesterday, I noticed that my laptop would not open a specific website that I am on almost daily. The other two computers open it just fine. I have tried....restarting my computer, unplugging router and modem and plugging back in, deleting cache, cookies and history, restoring computer to a previous date. I've disabled parental controls and my antivirus and that didn't help either. I'm just at a loss and very frustrated. What would cause a computer to all of a sudden not be able to go to a website? I should mention that I can open it with anonymouse.org (as I saw suggested while trying to find a solution online) but once it loads, I am unable to log in and the page doesn't load quite right...with ads that should appear on the side of the screen, loading over other text in the middle. Anyone with any ideas on how to fix this problem and what might have caused it? Thank you.

Anissa

oops....i have win. 7 and this problem happens in chrome, IE and firefox

Edited by 3boysmom, 03 November 2012 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Maybe you have been blocked.

#3 3boysmom

3boysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. There would be no reason I would be blocked that I can think of. I contacted the website and they just gave me suggestions to try...none of which worked. I also don't think being blocked is the reason because I just changed my IP address (saw this suggestion online) and I still can't get the website to load. If it matters, the website is coupons.com. Any other ideas out there?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hi -
Try and access via This Link for Coupon.com and tell us if this is the site if you get through -

Thank You -

#5 3boysmom

3boysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Thank you for your reply!

ok...I was using Firefox and clicked on the link you gave me and it opened just fine....so I tried to go ahead and login and after hitting enter, I got the same blank screen as before so I closed the tab and opened a new one and tried to click on your link again and this time I got the blank screen instead of the web page. I thought I'd try it in Chrome so I opened it up and clicked on your link but got the same blank screen. Weird that it opened the first time but wouldn't open again.

Edited by 3boysmom, 04 November 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

Hi -

Please try the link with a current updated Internet Explorer Browser-

XP should use I.E. 8 and above that (Vista or Windows7) you should be using I.E. 9 -

Open Internet Explorer > Click Tools at the top > Click Internet Options > Click Connections and then LAN Settings - The only box with a tick should be the Top one >
Automatically Detect Settings > Click OK > OK > and that should reset back to normal settings -

Tell us how it goes -

#7 3boysmom

3boysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

I had the older IE version so I tried to update to 9 and when it tried to install, I got a window that said "wrong version of Internet Explorer installer" "this version of setup doesn't support your windows system type (32-bit/64-bit)" Is there something else I need to install or update before I can update IE?

ok...I kept trying and not it's updating. I'll let you know what happens.

Edited by 3boysmom, 05 November 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#8 3boysmom

3boysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Got IE 9 installed and clicked on the link you gave me and it opened up just fine and I am able to login as well. Why will it only open up with the link and is there something I need to do so that it will open up the "regular" way?

Edited by 3boysmom, 05 November 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Hi again -
Lets have a quick look at a few things and we may see something else - Please follow these directions >>

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE or HERE, and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -

#10 3boysmom

3boysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.54
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64
Internet Explorer 9
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
AntiVir Desktop
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.60.1.1000
Java™ 6 Update 33
Java version out of Date!
Adobe Flash Player 10 Flash Player out of Date!
Adobe Reader 9 Adobe Reader out of Date!
Mozilla Firefox 12.0 Firefox out of Date!
Google Chrome 21.0.1180.83
Google Chrome 21.0.1180.89
Google Chrome 22.0.1229.79
Google Chrome 22.0.1229.92
Google Chrome 22.0.1229.94
Google Chrome plugins...
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
WinPatrol winpatrol.exe
Avira Antivir avgnt.exe
Avira Antivir avguard.exe
BillP Studios WinPatrol WinPatrol.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 1%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hi -
A bit of a naughty (forgetful) mom by the look of some basic results, as many of these basic programs are not updated, by quite a long time -
The Blue underlined items are links to the latest versions that I could find at this time - You may have other problems, but this is a good start -

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has been Version 1.65.1.100 (plus daily updates) for quite a while, where it seems you have not Updated for about 1 year -
Open the program and just click Update across the top and do this Every time you scan with the program -

Mozilla Firefox 12.0 is about Version 16 by now, with Version 17 in the testing stages already -

Java™ 6 Update 33 has been Version 7 for a while, and is now Update 9 - This may help your browsing -
Open Control Panel > Click Java icon > Second Tab should be Update - See if this brings it up to date -

Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402.287 is now current, and has been for a while - Untick the Google toolbar Option when installing -
Adobe Reader is now Version 11 Again untick the Google Option when installing

Google Chrome is now Google Chrome 24.0.1312.2 and this update will also help with your browsing

Uninstall all older versions of programs like Google Chrome 21.0.1180.83 - Google Chrome 21.0.1180.89 - Google Chrome 22.0.1229.79 and Google Chrome 22.0.1229.92 along with older Java versions from Programs and Features when you update these programs -

You must make sure that your Antivirus is Always updated and scans daily, or else the program is a bit useless (ask if you would prefer another Antivirus program)

Let us know if any of this helps -

NEXT - - After you finish all of the above, here are a few extras for you -
This is all general maintainance, that you may have never done, unless someone pushes you (and I think you do not get much good advice) -
I would run DiskCheck on your computer with this method >>

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows :

•Click Start Orb and open Computer
Right-click on C:(or your hard drive letter) and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
•Click on the Start button
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and then >> Restart << your computer
•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so -

This will run by itself for about 1 hour (on average) and reboot itself back to Normal Mode once all 5 stages have finished -

NEXT -
I would run a System File Checker to make sure all System Files are correct -
Click Start Orb > Programs > Accessories > find Command Prompt and Right Click on it > Select Run as Administrator > Type sfc /scannow > Press Enter -
Note the space between c and / as this is important for the program to run.
This should only take about 10 to 15 minutes (on average) and return to a normal screen when finished -

Just a few minor extras to remind you to keep your computer fully updated -

#12 3boysmom

3boysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

I'm more than a little embarrassed that I haven't kept everything updated. :whistle: I realize now how important it is to keep up to date. One of the programs you had me update, I thought I had recently updated (but apparently not), and another kept opening a window telling me it needed updated but when I'd try, it would say that I needed to have administrative privileges (or something like that) and I AM the administrator and was logged in as such so I didn't know how to fix that. Following the instructions you gave worked though.

Anyway, everything didn't go smoothly but eventually I got everything updated and now I can access the website from Firefox, Chrome, and IE. :thumbsup: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! :clapping: Don't know if it's explainable or not but how could not updating things prevent just ONE website from opening?

I will be doing the extras you gave me to and have saved all those instructions. How often should I do those? You also said..."ask if you would prefer another antivirus program" so I'm asking. I thought the one I had was supposed to be good but would love to know of a better one ....preferably one that is free or inexpensive. Being a stay home mom of 3 doesn't make much money. LOL And you are right...I don't get much good advice...actually I don't get any advice at all...just what I find online. Are there any other things you would suggest I do on a routine basis to keep things running smoothly or any other programs I should download and be running?

Thank you again so much for taking time to help me!

Edited by 3boysmom, 06 November 2012 - 12:21 AM.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

Hi -
You are always welcome to my small amount of help, and I am glad that your problem is at least partially (mostly) solved -

If you have problems with updates, open the site and > Right click the update and select > "Run as Administrator.
Always look out for Add-on toolbars that are sometimes included with Updates, and Untick them (mostly useless)

Most of the things I left I would do about once a month and I also have "Secunia PSI" installed that reminds me if a program needs updating -

My standard Antivirus reply is - I can't tell you which one is the best because determining that is generally not feasible; however,I can give you my strong recommendations for programs that I have tested and that I trust. All of the following are excellent free (not free trials of) antiviruses.
Be sure to only install one - I did have AVG included, but I feel this is failing at the moment -
Microsoft Security Essentials (what I currently use)
Avira AntiVir ( What you currently use)
avast!

I have only done the most basic of Security Scans, and it shows many things that are often ignored or overlooked by many people, however in your case, I figured that the causes may have been linked to lack of updates and other missing items. There are many more scans to list unwanted programs etc, but this seems enough for now -

Leave things for a week or so, and you can always send me a PM (click on the envelope) if things play up again. I often miss posted items as I work part-time and I may be away for a few days at a time.

Good Luck, and see you later -

#14 3boysmom

3boysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

ok

Thanks again for your time and your help. :)

#15 eKamid

eKamid

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

Hy noknojon, I have the same problem. I followed your steps and I checked with securitycheck and here it is:
Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.56
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Buddy Spy 2.2.19
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Java 7 Update 9
Adobe Flash Player 11.5.502.146
Adobe Reader XI
Mozilla Firefox (3.6.23) Firefox out of Date!
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive D:: 39% Defragment your hard drive soon! (Do NOT defrag if SSD!)
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

On the other computer works fine, but on this no result. I tried with firefox too but hopeless (I use chrome) and I don't know what to do, may you please help me. The site is forum.vamist.ro (actually a forum).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users