Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where would I find this part?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hey guys!

So I have upgraded my main computer many of times, most recently was a motherboard upgrade. I was wanting to build a server with all these spare parts I have laying around, the only thing I need for this computer to be functioning is a processor.

Unfortunately, the leftover board I have is a LGA1366 socket, which limits me to the i7-9xx series of processors. And wouldn't you know they have been discontinued.

So I have been poking around ebay and the prices seem a bit fair from 40 - 150$ depending on the seller, but ebay makes me nervous so I don't want to play with that at the moment.

I have also been looking at other retailers, and the lowest I can find is $300! I am not paying that for a discontinued processor.

Does anyone know where I could find a cheap processor where I can just buy it and drop it in my system with out having to worry about the whole ebay part?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Ebay or Craigslist would be the only 2 options to get it cheap. As with everything else once a part is discontinued the supply/demand shifts radically (since there is no new supply) on the remaining NIB parts.

You think that is high, I priced a set of "triple Y" exhaust manifolds, last manufactured in the mid 70's) for a 69 Chevelle. The original NIB from GM were astronomical, the New Production from Goodmark was $2000 a pair. This for a part that when it was last cataloged was $50 and you could buy them used and unmodified for around $10 until 1990.

Posted Image

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

ebay is ok ,just make sure that the seller has a really good reputation list ,and has made lots of sale ,and if you use paypall to buy it ,its insured/covered if something goes wrong

Edited by caperjac, 05 November 2012 - 06:43 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Yeah, I just bought the processor for 145$. 14day DOA policy plus it was insured so hopefully I will be okay.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Yeah, I just bought the processor for 145$. 14day DOA policy plus it was insured so hopefully I will be okay.

I have been using e-bay for years now ,over 140 items and only got ripped about 3 or 4 times ,some were my own mistakes ,last purchase was a laptop battery[59.00 cdn] ,I got the wrong one ,my mistake ,and seller would do nothing for me

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Well, the seller seemed very generous. Even gave me a return option full refund (minus shipping)

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

Well, the seller seemed very generous. Even gave me a return option full refund (minus shipping)

yeah most are really good ,the one I bought the battery from had a warning on the site to make sure you had the right one,because there were no refunds on batteries ,I just picked the wrong one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users