Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No IP address, no network connection.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

This is my work computer, so I am stuck not getting paid, as I am unable to do any work.
Here are all the facts:
We will call network 1 192.168.1.0/0 (Please mind me if I don't have these right, but you still get the idea) This network has Internet access
We will call network 2 192.168.182.0/0
This computer has a wired and a wireless card connected to network 1 and has an IP reserved on the router. The wireless card connects to network 2 and it has a static IP assigned. Network 2 works fine, network 1 however keeps assigning itself a 169 IP address.
If I connect the wireless card to Network 1, it works. I am assigned an IP and can surf. If I set a static IP for the wired card connected to network 1 I am connected to an "Unidentified network" with no internet access. If I remove the IP from the reservation table in the router the same things happens. When I connected wired to network 2, I get a 169.x address.
Things I have tried that have not worked:
Rebooted computer
Rebooted router
Rebooted the router and every network switch on the network
set a static IP (No internet access)
Reset TCPIP (netsh int ip reset)
Reset Winsock (netsh winsock reset)
Connected directly to the router instead of through a switch.
Disabled/re-enabled the network card
Connected to another router (That was connected to nothing) to see if it would assign an IP. (NO)
Replaced the network cable with a known working cable
Scanned for viruses with Malware bytes (None found. This computer also has avast on it. There are several other computers on the network with NO virus protection. They are not affected)
Things I have noticed:
When I plug a network wire into the computer and into a switch/router the activity light on the computer blinks steadily, but the activity light on the router stays solid. (It should blink with activity)
Finally, my ipconfig /all can be seen here http://pastebin.com/PMWbKxbq
Need to get this working please. I will update this post as I collect more information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hi,

A questions the two networks are connected between them or isolated from each other?

For diagnostic purpose make sure you connect only one network adapter at the time until it works.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 supermaltese

supermaltese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Change router setting to Auto DHCP.

You also want Windows, to Obtain IPv4 and IPv6 address automatically, and obtain DNS server address automatically. Your settings are probably too narrow, and there's a conflict somewhere.

#4 Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hi,

A questions the two networks are connected between them or isolated from each other?

For diagnostic purpose make sure you connect only one network adapter at the time until it works.

Already done, as I explained above. The wired adapter will not connect to any network, the wireless connects to both. The networks are connected, but through a computer that is suppose to isolate them. It runs the internet cafe part of my store by limiting and restricting access and speed.

Change router setting to Auto DHCP.

You also want Windows, to Obtain IPv4 and IPv6 address automatically, and obtain DNS server address automatically. Your settings are probably too narrow, and there's a conflict somewhere.

I guess I didn't explain it well. One day it worked, the next day it didn't. No one has access to any part of the network whatsoever except me, either physically or virtually. This means that the setting I described were in fact working, but for some reason the adapter stopped working. Changing the DHCP settings won't help.

What I ended up doing was disabling the built in network card, and installing a new one. But now something very funny is happening. Initially, all is well. The computer get an IP address, and everything works. After some time, I end up with "No network access" I run the built in troubleshooter, it resets the network card, and tells me the "Gateway is unreachable" and the problem is fixed. Now why does the network keep failing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users