Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup crashes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Iceboa

Iceboa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

My computer is experiencing big time problems. I'll start with some background. My desktop computer is self-built, works great and rarely has problems. For the last month of so, it would freeze after going into sleep mode and coming back up, usually 10 minutes afterwards. It did this back a long time ago, it seemed to go away, but now it was doing it again. It wasn't a big problem, I just restart when it happens. Yesterday, it happened while I was playing a game (Mass effect 3 if you care), so I restarted the computer. The computer came back on, I tried to start the game again. The game shuttered, stalled, and the computer finally turned off. I turned it back on again, and then after booting it did the same thing. The computer would boot fine to Windows 7 Ultimate, but shortly after logging in it crashes. I thought the first crash may have wrecked the OS. Luckily, I have a seperate hard drive with Ubuntu Linux OS on it in the same computer. I tried booting off it, but it did the exact same thing! It wouldn't even get to the desktop. I'll redescribe the problem, once I get to a certain point, the computer screen starts tripping, breaks up, and all data to the monitor turns off, the monitor turns back on but the screen is scrambled, the keyboard doesn't respond, the mouse sometimes does at first, but it soon stops as well, the computer freezes, the activity light on the computer either turns off or lights up in even pulses. Somtimes but not always, the computer then restarts. The fact that the computer would freeze on another hard drive that was not active during the original crash made me think a hardware problem. The Windows 7 OS works perfectly fine in safe mode though. I waited a day, unplugged the power cord and replugged it, tryed turning it on and off again a few times, and now it doesn't crash immediatly after start up. I used system mechanic look for problems, it didn't see anything, did a security sweep using Webroot, nothing. But the computer still crashes either after being left on for a few minutes, or immediatly after starting an application (but not simple applications like windows explorer or the programs I just mentioned). Sorry for the long explanation, but I'm stumped, and I have much more important things to do with my computer than play games. Any help?
I know someone will pesture me for computer specs, so here's some I can give you. Desktop computer; AMD Phenom 2 quad core; Asus motherboard, 250GB SATA hard drive with Win 7 Ultimate, moslty full; 250GB hard drive with Ubuntu; 600W power supply, two DVD-ROMs; NVIDEA 9800 graphics card 1Gb; 4GB RAM i think; Linksys wirelessN PC card;two internal fans; and so on. Tell me if you want more.
I really can't tell if the problem is software or hardware.

Edited by Iceboa, 02 November 2012 - 11:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

Hello Iceboa and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

What first comes to my mind is that your computer may be over heating.

When was the last time you inspected the inside of your computer case for dust buildup?

The heat sink over your CPU would be the first place I would inspect.

Your PSU is the third and your GPU would be the forth.

If your inspection turns up with a clean computer and you want to check for over heating issues, you can download one of the programs below, install and run in safe mode to see what your temperature readings are. (safe mode can be entered by holding the F8 key just before the Windows splash screen appears.

Speed Fan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

If they appear to be high in safe mode, you will have found heat as being the issue.

If heat is not the issue here, you may have a bad driver that is loading as Windows starts and it is crashing your system.

Event viewer can give you a few clues as to whether you have a driver issue, I would check the logs to see if any clues can be obtained from there.

If you downloaded and installed any updates or new programs lately, that could also be contributing to your problems.

System restore could very well solve that problem to, so rolling back a few installations would be helpful in possibly solving the problem and if not, system restore will also allow you to roll forward again back to the current date and time.

Please keep us posted as to what you have found as being a solution.

If all fails, we'll try to suggest a few other options to try.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Iceboa

Iceboa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Okay,so a bit of a breakthrough. Event viewer didn't say anything, just that the computer keeps turning off. I clean my computer regularly, but I did a nice surgical cleaning today. The graphics card has one of those enclosed cooling housings that I found out had a good amount of dust hiding in it, so I cleaned it out. I turned the computer on again, and checked the tempertures, nothing was wrong though the graphics card was stable at about 120F. I was a able to play some simple games and it's not crashing while idile yet. I tried Mass Effect 3 again, it got a little further but still crashed. I was able to check the tempurture at the same time and it said it reached 141F. Through patience and pressing ctrlaltdelete a lot, I got the game to stop and the computer stopped crashing and can continue doing simple tasks.
I think that pins the problem pretty well on the graphics card. But if its overheating, why did it start doing this after the crash a couple days ago? It wasn't overheating before and the dust had to be there before as well. Perhaps the crash fried the card and now its more sensitive to heat? Any other solutions?

I wanted to see if the main processor was the problem too, so I turned on matlab and made it solve some hard integrals, that's usually enough to really bog down my processor. It didn't crash at all, it seemed normal, and the processor got up to 112F. So I don't think the CPU is bad.

Edited by Iceboa, 03 November 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#4 Iceboa

Iceboa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Update, I took out the video card and pluged the monitor to the motherboard. The computer worked fine this way and could do more complicated tasks (as far as what the motherboard can handle that is). I put the video card back in, but the computer started to freak out, blue screened, restarted, and came back to windows again. This time though, even though the monitor was attached to the video card the computer was running off the motherboard again. I didn't know that was possible, but I looked in device manager and it says the video card is not working properly and has been shut off (code 43). I deleted the driver, reinstalled it, but same thing. Any solutions?

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi -
As an extra to Mr Bruce :You could please post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy <<Follow These Directions

ALSO -
Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE or HERE, and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thanks -
Spelling Edit only -

Edited by noknojon, 03 November 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#6 Iceboa

Iceboa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

OK, fine, here it is.
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/loJOHXK57BM0gAU8ftiZyJk

And this,
Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.54
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 (UAC is enabled)
Internet Explorer 9
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
Webroot SecureAnywhere
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
JavaFX 2.1.1
Java™ 6 Update 24
Java™ 7 Update 5
Java version out of Date!
Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402.287
Mozilla Firefox (16.0.2)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
iolo Common Lib ioloServiceManager.exe
iolo System Mechanic Professional SystemGuardAlerter.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#7 Iceboa

Iceboa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

Well? Don't tell me I put all those specs up for nothing.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

Well? Don't tell me I put all those specs up for nothing.

Sorry if I was slow for you - Since today is a Public Holiday here, I have a chance to view some problems, and we have had some bad weather here also - We do not Work here, but just visit in our spare time whenever we get a chance, between our normal jobs and family life -

Fully delete these - iolo Common Lib ioloServiceManager.exe - - - - iolo System Mechanic Professional SystemGuardAlerter.exe
iolo is a well known program for causing many crashing problems, and should never be installed -

Java should be updated to Version7 Update9 and older versions removed -

I put the video card back in, but the computer started to freak out
it says the video card is not working properly and has been shut off (code 43). I deleted the driver, reinstalled it, but same thing.
Personally I think you need to replace the Video or Graphics Card with a new one if you cannot get it operating correctly -
Visit the NVIDIA site to see if there is any update for your NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT and it can auto detect your cards -

the computer screen starts tripping, breaks up, and all data to the monitor turns off, the monitor turns back on but the screen is scrambled,
If there is no over heating problems, the next item to look at is Power Supply Unit - - This will cause the same problems you describe -

Thank You -

#9 Iceboa

Iceboa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

Sorry if I was slow for you - Since today is a Public Holiday here, I have a chance to view some problems, and we have had some bad weather here also - We do not Work here, but just visit in our spare time whenever we get a chance, between our normal jobs and family life -

Don't take me so serious, and happy holiday.

So I got rid of the iolo files. I know iolo has caused me problems before, but just annoyances. I still have system mechanic up which I have found of to be of use before. I also updated java. Don't know what was up with that.
To what I think was no suprise, the problem didn't resolve after those fixes. Like I said before, the problem was clearly caused by the crash on thursday and I'm guessing those didn't cause it.

I figured it was the video card, so I got a new one. A GTX 560 2GB. The 9800 was five years old anyways, so no harm done. I installed it, it works well and it looks like the problem is gone. Yay, happy me :). No more crashes.

That seems to confirm the video card problem. I'm still thinking about the comment about the power supply though. The new video card takes up more power, so if the power supply was problematic I would think the new card would exacerbate the problem. But I don't know how to evaluate how good the power supply is, it seems fine but I don't know. Any way to find out?

Thank you responders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users