Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Destop Themes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:27 PM

My desk top themes have all dissapeared.I still have background options,but when I go to control panel then desktop themes there are no options but the black screen that I now have.Where would I go in my computer to restore these?

Edited by bob-E, 21 March 2006 - 02:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:37 PM

Assuming you're using Windows 98, you need to go to Control Panel ->Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup and check to see if Themes is listed as installed. If not, you'll need either your Windows disk or .cab files if they're installed to your hard drive, usually a directory called Win98. Since these must be manually copied to the drive, they may not be there.

If it's installed but not working, you might try to uninstall them and then re-install.

#3 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:08 AM

OK,did the control panel/add,remove programs/windows setup,and found desktop themes installed.So I uninstalled then re-installed and it went through the motions of installing(dialog box with the themes being installed and the progress bar at the bottom)but still no themes!My icons are still the same theme as they were but I have a black background.Current windows settings is a black screen.If I go to Win98 folder to extract which file is it in?

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:57 PM

Well, it seems to me that something else deeper down is broken. It won't do you any good to extract the themes if they're already supposed to be installed. I'm sorry to have to say it, but this may be one of those re-install times.

What happens if you go to the desktop properties (right-click on desktop, choose Properties) and then attempt to apply a different background?

I'm thinking that you need to do one of two things - either a complete re-install, or submit a hijack log in the HijackThis! forums. This could be caused by malware or it could be just a broken Operating System. To submit a log for examination, go to the Hijack forums and read the pinned post "Preparation Guide For Use Before . . ."
Don't reply to your own message because the Hijack Team looks for posts that haven't been answered, and please be patient because there are few of them and many logs.

#5 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:59 AM

Went to My Computer/Desktop/Properties and nothing happens.Not sure if that is the path I should have taken.I tried it in control panel under Desktop Themes but that doesn't give me the properties option.I have thought of doing the hi-jack this route with an earlier problem but I'm unable to run Bit Defender,IE won't let me.Also have problems w/Spybot.All virus scans and adware scans report minor adware-grayware problems that are easily fixed.I ended up re-installing to fix. I guess I 'll have to again unless you have some other suggestions.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:40 PM

That may be all you can do. Last time you reinstalled, did you do a full install or just a repair install? If a repair install, it's possible that you kept some background problem. It might not be a bad idea to reinstall, but first do a disk wipe to make sure that there are no ghosts left behind. There are a number of programs that will do this, one of which is Active Killdisk. That way, the disk will be sure to be clean before you reinstall.

#7 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:38 AM

The re-install I did was off the files on my hard drive.I don't have the disc;this is a hand me down computer.I ran it from the Windows setup file.If I run Active Killdisc it will delete everything won't it?

Edited by bob-E, 25 March 2006 - 09:42 AM.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:38 AM

Oops. Yes it will. However, if you have your license key and can find someone to borrow a disk from, it will work. If you reinstall from the CAB files, you may not fix your problem. One other option, though I've never tried it, might be to copy the Win98 folder to a disk and then after wiping and formatting copy it back. You'll need the startup disk to partition and format and start the computer in DOS with CD-Rom support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users