Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing main hardrive that has failed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

I'm not sure if Ive posted this in the right forum or not? Ive had a quick look around but didn't find anything.I have an Acer Aspire M3100 desktop Mfg;14/8/07,Vista Home Premium O/S,AMD Athlon x 2,CPU,Motherboard;PC RS690M03-8EKRS2H. The hard drive has stopped working and I'm looking for info on how to install Vista home premium onto a new hard drive,so I can get it going again? Anyone know how to do this? I would appreciate any help I can get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

There is a good tutorial on installing Windows Vista, it can be read here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

There is a good tutorial on installing Windows Vista, it can be read here.

Thanks mate! I couldn't get a better set of instructions than that,Ive just realized that I have the recovery disks for it .Would I be able to install a new hard drive and use the recovery disks?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

That computer had a recovery partition on the hdd which would take it back to the out of the box condition, so I'm not sure just what your recovery disc contains.

Is there any description on the disc of what it contains? Any identification numbers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

That computer had a recovery partition on the hdd which would take it back to the out of the box condition, so I'm not sure just what your recovery disc contains.

Is there any description on the disc of what it contains? Any identification numbers?

There are 2 DVD recovery disks with about 7gb data and a DVD application backup disk.Windows said to do the recovery and backup because the HDD was failing and it wasn't wrong.Ha! There are no IDs or numbers because I backed it up myself while it was still working and lucky I did coz it didn't last long after that.

Edited by blueballs, 03 November 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

That's good news. Not giving a person the installation disc when the purchase the computer has always been a pet peeve with me. If you hadn't done the backup you would be either trying to borrow an installation disc or buying one.

#7 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

That's good news. Not giving a person the installation disc when the purchase the computer has always been a pet peeve with me. If you hadn't done the backup you would be either trying to borrow an installation disc or buying one.

I take it that I can get it going with the recovery disks then? Do I install the new HDD then run disk 1 and go from there? It just sounds too easy.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

Usually the two discs are 1) the installation disc for the operating system, 2) the disc with the drivers.

The operating system needs to be installed first, and then the drivers.

The installation disc should prompt you through the installation, the driver disc should install the drivers automatically.

#9 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Usually the two discs are 1) the installation disc for the operating system, 2) the disc with the drivers.

The operating system needs to be installed first, and then the drivers.

The installation disc should prompt you through the installation, the driver disc should install the drivers automatically.

Oh mate! you are such good news! Ive had this computer sitting there gathering dust thinking it would be too hard to install another HDD. Ive ordered a 1TB black caviar HDD to go into it,so maybe it will last just as long as the old one?(5 years)Thanks again for your good advise.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

I hope it all goes well for you.Posted Image

#11 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

I hope it all goes well for you.Posted Image

Wow that was a quick reply from right around the other side of the world!Its amazing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users