Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 F8 boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CK Bleeps

CK Bleeps

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

I've been unable to boot my VM with F8 or shift F8.

I don't need to. I'm preparing for when my friends or whoever gets FBI virus and cannot login.
The XP/Vista/7 fix is to F8 boot to Safe Mode and run MBAM or manually clean it.

From googles, this issue has not been addressed. But I've only used Win8 on a VM...

Edited by CK Bleeps, 02 November 2012 - 08:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

I've been unable to boot my VM with F8 or shift F8.

I don't need to. I'm preparing for when my friends or whoever gets FBI virus and cannot login.
The XP/Vista/7 fix is to F8 boot to Safe Mode and run MBAM or manually clean it.

From googles, this issue has not been addressed. But I've only used Win8 on a VM...

Press the Win+R key combination and type msconfig in the run box and hit enter.

Switch over to the boot tab, and click on the Safe Boot check box.

You can also choose the type of Safe Mode you want to boot into:

Minimal is normal safe mode.
Alternate Shell is safe mode with command prompt
Network is safe mode with networking.
The Active Directory option pertains to restoring a server that is a Domain Controller for your network. Once you have chosen your option click the ok button and restart your machine.

You PC will be booted into Safe Mode automatically.

If you restart you PC you will just keep getting booted into Safe Mode, to stop this open msconfig again and uncheck the Safe Boot option, then hit the ok button.

Source (with pictures)

#3 CK Bleeps

CK Bleeps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Sightless... your instruction requires booting to normal mode.

The point of safe mode is to resolve issues which prevent booting to normal mode.

Windows 8 is a disaster.

#4 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Sightless... your instruction requires booting to normal mode.

The point of safe mode is to resolve issues which prevent booting to normal mode.

Windows 8 is a disaster.

A lot of times you can still get into normal mode, but I know that there are cases which make booting into normal mode impossible/troublesome.

I'm running Windows 8 on my laptop and am enjoying it so far. I know there will always be people who don't like new operating systems, but for my use, it works.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

edit ,opps just read you said you tried shift + f8

second edit -actually this sites explains how to change it to the classic f8 looking safe mode

try shift+f8 from this site

http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/

Edited by caperjac, 04 November 2012 - 06:10 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

F8 is no longer available in Windows 8. Shift+F8 is not available either.

See this article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/22/designing-for-pcs-that-boot-faster-than-ever-before.aspx

If Windows 8 is unable to start after a few attempts, it will go into the recovery environment automatically.

Otherwise you need to use msconfig or advanced startup settings.

#7 shreya arya

shreya arya

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

We all want faster boot times and Windows 8 delivers on the front. The problem is that the boot times are so quick that when you need to enter the setup menu, by pressing F2/F8 during boot, there is literally no time to do it.

So, what did Microsoft do? Surely they are not going to artificially slow down the boot time to compensate for this, so they added a few new features to the OS to make it easier to access these menus.In a machine with an SSD installed, you can boot up a machine in 7 seconds and the time to boot will likely get shorter as hardware improves over Windows 8 lifecycle. In a test machine at Microsoft with an SSD and UEFI system, the time window to hit F8 is 200 miliseconds, good luck hitting that with any bit of reliability.

In the scenario where you can not boot to Windows, Windows 8 will automatically enter automatic failover behavior which is determined by an algorithm that establishes a baseline over several boots. This should help appease those who have ever had what appears to be a successful boot but only to have the system hang due to a bad driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users