Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Cephalon

Cephalon

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Hey Bleeping Computer, How is everyone tonight? So I am working on a Samsung Laptop ( MOdel Number=Series 3 NP300E5C - A0AUS) My friend in my Math class just bought it literally 3 days ago from Best Buy and they told her they would install any software she needed when she paid for it, but when she picked it up they wouldnt without charging her extra (so they flat out lied to make a sale) Anyways thats besides the point, so it has Windows 8 installed and she absolutely hates Windows 8!!! So I told her I could install Windows 7 for her and all the software she needs, (thats easy) But here is my problem....

PROBLEM: The Samsung Laptop WILL NOT boot from disk, it will not boot from any disk, I have tried Windows 7 (obviously) but I have also tried Puppy Linux, Parted Magic, Mem Soft (various other bootable disks that Bleeping Computer has given me over the years... I have gone into BIOS and changed the boot priority to CD drive, I have messed around with the BIOS trying to get it to boot from a disk and it wont. Windows 8 boots up so damn quick, I can enter Bios by hitting F2 at the Samsung splash screen and I can enter BIOS but I can not find a boot menu like hitting F8, F6, F12, F11 other ones I have used in the past on other machines, none of them seem to work. I can not get it to boot from disk, It looks like I can install windows 7 from the desktop but if it will not boot from Disk then when it restarts during install I am worried about. She Hates Windows 8 She does not want Windows 8 at all. She doesnt want to take the Laptop back to best buy because she likes the actual laptop she just wants Windows 7 installed. I am new to Windows 8 and this is the first time I have used it as well..... But the laptop (Samsung) will not boot any disk. Do you guys have any advice for me on how to get it to boot from Disk?? I feel the problem is deeper than just Windows 8, and even if I could install Windows 7 from the Desktop, in the future what if for some reason she needed it to Boot from Disk?? The Laptop is brand new!!! And they didnt have the one she wanted with Windows 7, she said they really talked her into getting windows 8 and SHE HATES IT!!! I dont blame her, From what I have seen I am not impressed with Windows 8 either!!

Have you guys heard of not being able to boot from disk with Windows 8?? Or is it a Samsung problem?? My goal is to install windows 7 for her like she asked... But its hard without being able to boot from a CD using the CD drive...

I hope this is in the right forum, if it is not I am trully sorry and I will move to the correct forum. Thank You!! Windows 8 is currently installed but we want Windows 7!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hey just to let you guys know the BIOS is Phoenix SecureCore Tiano. There is a setting called Secure Boot (not sure what it does exactly) but I have not changed it, the only thing I have changed is the Boot Priority menu. If this Laptop wont boot from disk I am going to tell her to return it, and then in the future boycott samsung or any laptop maker that does not give you the option to boot from disk, This does make me angry with the future of computers I am hoping for an easy fix. My poor friend, she is totally computer illiterate(does not know how to install software at all) so I am trying to be a good friend and help her out!!

#3 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hey I fixed the problem, I disabled Secure Boot, then I enabled a feature in the BIOS called OSM CM or something like that and it booted right away from disk!!! I fixed the problem, thank you guys tho for all the help u have given me in the past, If I run into any more issues I will let u guys know, SO I guess u can delete this forum post, Thank you again!!!

#4 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Well I did run into another problem..... It wont let me install windows 7 because of the GPT file system or something If I have to make a new forum post I will with no problem :) I was hoping this would be a smooth install of windows 7 instead of windows 8 but so far its been a lot of trouble. Do I have to repartition the computers hard drive? I do need help, lol I am sorry I keep making posts!! But please help me, I want to install windows 7 on this laptop, I have a Windows 7 64 bit disk (retail) and I am having lots of trouble trying to install it, I know there is a way i can install this Windows 7 on this machine, Well I am hoping there is. I already deleted the old partition, But there was 6 partitions, A lot of recovery partitions I noticed for windows 8. We dont want windows 8 though! Any advice? I had to turn off secure boot, and change the UEFI to OSM CM to just get it to boot from disk now it wont let me install windows 7, I am lost and confused, Thank you guys and sorry again for all my troubles!!!

#5 CK Bleeps

CK Bleeps

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

I hope this is in the right forum, if it is not I am trully sorry and I will move to the correct forum. Thank You!! Windows 8 is currently installed but we want Windows 7!!

Maybe they should bounce this between the forums :) It's Win7! It's Win8! No! It's Win7!

1) At this point, the format of the hard drive is not an issue. The boot choice is before the Win8 loader.
2) If you boot to Win8, can you see the cd-rom drive?
3) During boot it might say "Press any key to boot from CD-ROM"
4) Try an external USB drive... maybe the internal is bad?

<3 my external USB. One drive for all the PCs :)

#6 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Thank you for your reply :) I cant even get back to windows 8 because I deleted the partition that had Windows 8 installed (like a complete idiot!!) The Laptop is only 3 days old so I figure if anything I can return it, but I found this thread http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-cannot-be-installed-on-this-disk-the/8fa72a3e-10c5-47da-a040-1e0db62af309 and on this thread I found a section where hitting Shift F10 lets me get to the Disk Part brings up a command line so I am going to try and clean it, like it says to do, or another person said use a windows xp disk to reformat to NTFS, so I found a few things to help me, I am kina worried about following through with them, I figure if anything I can wipe the HDD clean and use one of my HDD's to install windows 7 if it comes down to that, But I might try the Clean command, sounds like people have had good luck with that, what do you think?

Before I could not get the Laptop to boot from Disk, then I found a forum where it said to Disable the Secure Boot, and select OSM co I did that and now it boots from disk, Trying to install Windows 7 on a laptop that had Windows 8 on it is extremely difficult for some reason, I mean if this doesnt work I can always take it back (within 30 days I believe) Or if I use PartedMagic maybe I can format the Disk to NTFS and install windows 7.... I dont know, But to answer your question, I could see the Windows disk on the Desktop of Windows 8 (after I was able to get to the Desktop) I could see the disk in the drive but could not access it. But thank you agian for your help!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!! Thats why I bring all my PC Problems to you guys! You guys are the best!!!

#7 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

So I went ahead and tried the "clean" option, (for I am still learning about computers myself ALWAYS LEARNING) and put in my windows 7 disk, got to the part where it said I could not install Windows 7 on this partition because it is not GPT, then I followed the directions of Ricardo Cezar_878 and hit SHIFT F10 brought up the Command line, I hit DISKPART then LIST DISK then I Selected Disk 0 and entered in "CLEAN" and it wiped the disk clean, and then after that Windows 7 did not give me any complaints and its installing now, I hope it works, This was new for me... I have installed Windows 7, XP, Vista, 98. NT, all the windows several times and never had issues like this, They really are making it harder to replace Opperating Systems it seems like. But as of now its expanding windows files at 12% so I hope it works out but that forum post so far did help me :)

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Hi Cephalon and welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:

I have been reading your thread and for a while there I felt bad to see that you were basically carrying on in this thread as a sole participant. :busy:

I have read with quite interest as to what you have gone through with this laptop and your desire to beat Windows 8 into the recycle bin. It appears it was like beating a dead horse so to speak. :deadhorse: LOL

As of your last post I see it appears that you are finally making some positive progress in installing Windows 7 and I hope that your next reply brings forth some successful results.

Windows 8 really isn't a bad operating system when it is installed on a laptop that has a touch screen ability. You do the same thing with smart phones and that has been accepted as a way to do things on a small screen.

We are simply just not used to doing such navigation on a computer as of yet, but the idea will eventually catch on, just as we eventually accepted using a touch screen on a cell phone over using the key pad.

Please keep us updated with your progress, I for one am interested in the out come.

Kind regards as always.....

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 CK Bleeps

CK Bleeps

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

I have been reading your thread and for a while there I felt bad to see that you were basically carrying on in this thread as a sole participant. :busy: ... blah blah blah blah blah .... Windows 8 really isn't a bad operating system when it is installed on a laptop that has a touch screen ability. You do the same thing with smart phones and that has been accepted as a way to do things on a small screen.

MrBruce: Are you serious? I mean, on so many levels, are you... serious? Sounds to me like you have not read this thread at all. You have simply posted a pre-set response.... Please stop posting this nonsense, for your own sake... stop.

Win8 is considered another Vista loser by many, hated by many, and loved by a few fanboys. I'm not here to judge Microsofts blunders but seriously this poster is past that! My prediction is that the tech industry will laugh off Win8, especially the retraction of F8 and media player. But you know, fanboy yourself then swich logons, thats what fanboys do. And, with luck, m$ will make another fail = Win9.

/rant

Anyway. you need to repartition the drive. This means deleting the current GPT partition and creating a new one. GPT is a newer file system. It is not needed for Win7. You should use the advanced options for win7 install, delete the partition, and create a new one. If you create a partition during the win7 install, it will be one that it can install on. This does not require an alternate boot / program, the Win7 installer in advanced mode should handle it.

At some point you might consider a local technician! But we're here to answer any questions you may have. It may take some time to get through the details. The more info the better.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

MrBruce: Are you serious? I mean, on so many levels, are you... serious? Sounds to me like you have not read this thread at all. You have simply posted a pre-set response.... Please stop posting this nonsense, for your own sake... stop.

Please forgive me for not mentioning your participation in this thread, as you are correct I should have mentioned that you did reply.
What was meant by what I said in that quote is that the first four posts were from the original author of this thread and it appeared as if they were the only participant.
But you are correct you did participate and not only am I sorry for neglecting to mention that, I am also thankful to you for doing so.

Please accept my apology for this over-site.

Kind regards....

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 hornhonker

hornhonker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Gee, it's rough on this board. Six posts and he's reaming out an admin and declaring the OS another Vista after being available for a week. :(

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

There are already several comparison threads going on in the Windows 8 forum if you want to debate the OS on its merits, and if you have a problem with a staff member there are more effective channels for your complaint.

Please constrain all replies to the topic at hand and at all times maintain basic civility and respect towards others.

#13 magcig

magcig

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

Detailed Tip to Boot from CD/DVD Disabling Win8 Uefi Secure-boot:

http://install-climber.blogspot.com/2013/01/windows8-howtodisablesecureboot-bootfromcddvdinstallationmedia.html

#14 Doc40

Doc40

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hey I fixed the problem, I disabled Secure Boot, then I enabled a feature in the BIOS called OSM CM or something like that and it booted right away from disk!!! I fixed the problem, thank you guys tho for all the help u have given me in the past, If I run into any more issues I will let u guys know, SO I guess u can delete this forum post, Thank you again!!!

Hey i regged on this forum just to say 

THANK YOU

This here is what ive been looking for for almost a day now . 

It also would not let me install windows 8 over again was stuck in this loop boot 

So your information helped me quite a bit :)

Now windows 8 is installing just fine :)

AGAIN 

Thank you ! 

Doc

#15 davedsone

davedsone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

I'm going to jump in here to beat a dead horse.  To the OP- Guided Partition Table is the replacement for the current partition setup, you can have many primary partitions instead of just 3, it handles disks larger than 3TB, and has security features.  Secure boot is a system that keeps people from sticking in a USB stick or CD and bypassing your system to crack the password or do other damage to the system.  Both are great security features, and no problem to deal with if you know what you are doing.  The fact that you couldn't jump into the system without help proves they work.  The trouble you had was from doing things BEFORE you got the information.  These are enhancements for usability and security, and they are greatly needed.  As far as Windows 8 goes, you should have had your friend stick with it.  It's faster, more secure, contains built in antivirus, and has lots of nice features.  Taking 10 minutes to learn what the start screen is and how to navigate would have sorted the whole thing easily.  As a computer technician and a salesperson, I show people how to use Win 8 all the time, and most of them have no trouble after a short tutorial.  Microsoft SHOULD have included that tutorial on startup, but either way it's not complicated.  Windows 8 is Windows 7 with a host of improvements and a new start menu paradigm, PLUS a store and some downloadable apps coded in HTML5.  There is NO MINUS.  If your friend wanted the old familiar look and feel, just go to Stardock.com and purchase Start8.  It's $4.99, and will put the start menu and it's options right back where she was used to them, and makes the start screen go away unless you click it's icon.  Easy peasy.  People who hate Win 8 are mostly not using it.  They see it, assume everything is different, and say it sucks.  I have been using it at home and work for over a year and a half and it's been great.  Wouldn't give it up for anything.  I use it on both touch and with a mouse and keyboard, and honestly, the mouse and keyboard works better than touch does.  Look, Windows 7 was Vista with some small tweaks.  What frustrated most people when Vista launched was lack of drivers.  It wasn't a problem after a year or so, and since 7 is basically Vista there were lots of drivers ready for it when it launched. Windows 8 is windows 7 with some small tweaks and and a Start Screen instead of a menu.  NOT THAT COMPLICATED PEOPLE.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users