Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no wireless after reinstalling windows pc sp3

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tommys93

tommys93

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

hi all
after reinstalling win xp there is no wireless internet, im stuck on "acquiring network address".. it shows me all available networks around but can not connect to any...i downloaded all drivers from HP website and no luck. its HP MINI 1110NR. i can connect thru wire tho.

this is my snapshot with Speccy:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/YwWZNCCODBSIdXBqOLM1QMf
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tommys93

tommys93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

any suggestions where the problem is ? anyone ? i`ve been trying the whole day to find solution ...

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

If you have connectivity via wire...then you need examine your wireless setup...from drivers to setup...to find out why it won't work.

Any error messages onscreen when your wireless efforts fail?

Louis

#4 tommys93

tommys93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

i checked everything the drivers are working i reset modem and router.it was working before i reinstall windows. also i have 2 other laptops connected to the internet.it sees all available wireless network but as i said whenever i`m trying to connect i`m stuck at"acquiring network address"...

#5 tommys93

tommys93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

no messages on screen except "cannot connect to prefered network"...

#6 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

Maybe the wireless adapter is bad. That has happened to me.

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

i checked everything the drivers are working i reset modem and router.it was working before i reinstall windows. also i have 2 other laptops connected to the internet.it sees all available wireless network but as i said whenever i`m trying to connect i`m stuck at"acquiring network address"...

Modem and router you either use one or the other not both. Are your 2 laptops WinXP or something else?

Surely your ISP has supplied you with an installation disc to set everything up?

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#8 tommys93

tommys93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

only 1 laptop win xp the other ones are win 7...but as i said i had win xp before running and everything was working and then i decided to reinstall windows and now wireless doesnt work

#9 tommys93

tommys93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

"Modem and router you either use one or the other not both:- what do you mean?

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

"Modem and router you either use one or the other not both:- what do you mean?

It becomes confusing because there are combination devices which can combine both an ADSL modem and a router in the one case as well as devices which can combine an ADSL modem, a router and a switch all in the one case!
What is the difference between a modem and a router. A reasonable answer is given here -

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

It's not confusing at all...the two devices perform different functions...and work together if properly connected.

A modem carries the signal from the ISP's connection...to either a router or directly to the computer. A modem can connect only 1 computer directly.

A router is a device which obtains the signal from the modem...and makes it possible for multiple distribution to more than 1 computer and facilitates computer networking. A router also provides a layer of security that is lacking when just using a modem for the Internet connection to the system. I don't know much about modem-routers but I assume that they also provide that additional protection.

Many of us employ both routers and modems with our systems.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

acquiring network address

Try removing all your wireless network profile including the one you are currently using then connect again manually by choosing from the list of available networks to your home SSID. Make sure the security encryption(WPA/WPA2) matches the router and your laptop's wifi card. You may need to try changing your wireless mode to b/g - b/g/n mode or mix mode to check on the difference.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users