Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspected FakeHDD malware - Unhide does not help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wh030

wh030

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hi all

I was clicking through some video links, one of which opened a new tab with a message window which either stated that it was downloading something or scanning something - I'm sorry I didn't stop to get a good look, it just seemed like the average malwarian shennanigans so I kept clicking X to close the window, which caused another message window to open asking if I was sure I wanted to leave the page and another warning that I would lose all my files if I restarted, to which I kept trying to close the window and eventually resorted to just shutting down Firefox then re-opening. Everything was working okay until my Netflix audio started sounded wonky and I had to do a hard shutdown.

When I rebooted I got a long "preparing your desktop" message before the desktop loaded - to a completely different desktop background and none of my files or icons. I ran AVG anti-virus which found nothing, then I ran Malwarebytes Anti-malware which found PUP.BundleInstaller.Bl which is associated with a FreeYoutubeDownloaderInstaller.exe file (I didn't try to fix/delete it), then I ran a Advanced System Care 6 scan and found no malware and a bunch of junk files, registery issues, etc (I didn't try to fix/delete anything). Then I downloaded Unhide which ran for a bit and said that there were no tempfiles found. Then I remembered to try a restart in Safe Mode - and I can see all my missing files and desktop folders/icons, so I know they're still there. Unfortunately when I did the safe mode restart I lost the log from the Unhide scan.

I didn't delete anything from my temp folder so I'm wondering why Unhide didn't work and now I'm not sure if it is indeed a FakeHDD problem or something else. I'm not sure if I should proceed with the manual restoration of the desktop shortcuts b/c I'm not sure that's the right solution and also because I'm not that computer literate and the instructions are blowing my mind. Can someone please help? Will a manual restoration create more problems if it's not a FakeHDD?

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that when my desktop opens a message in the lower right hand corner says "you have been logged into a temporary account". Also, I ran the script from this site to restore the start menu items if the temp files were deleted (I'm not sure they were deleted I just had to try something) and nothing happened.

Edited by wh030, 02 November 2012 - 05:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users