Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting the Most out of My 1GB of RAM

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stevez_86

stevez_86

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

I have been trying for a while now to get my Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427 running Windows Vista SP1 (couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the newer Service Packs) using only the standard 1GB of RAM installed and 11GB Hard drive. Sometimes I would be able to get over 700MB's freed up, and around 600MB while using Chrome. But recently it has had a serious downtick and I can only have a couple tabs open before I am down to only <100 MB available. It's like my laptop is bipolar. I run Advanced System Care 6 Pro, and in order to improve performance I have turned off the basic Windows security except for firewall and all visual effects are basically off without much noticeable difference. I will post the ASC Diagnostic Report, similar to what Hijack This produces, and the detailed system information. Let me know if I should post more information.

Attached File  System Information Report.html   69.77KB   3 downloads
Attached File  ASCDiagnoseReport2.txt   20.75KB   1 downloads

Edited by stevez_86, 02 November 2012 - 03:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

The truth is Vista will never run well on 1GB of RAM and there is no way around it.
You need at least 2GB of RAM.

In addition running any registry tools like ASC can only make things worse.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 stevez_86

stevez_86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

The truth is Vista will never run well on 1GB of RAM and there is no way around it.
You need at least 2GB of RAM.

In addition running any registry tools like ASC can only make things worse.

I was given this laptop from a coworker and I couldn't reformat it or anything like that so I did the best I could using ASC and it did definitely enhance the speed. Would any changes to the registry cause the available RAM fluctuate like it currently is? Besides that, that is the only unstable thing about this computer right now.

And besides getting more RAM, what are some other options? Would getting an external hard drive to help extend the page file help or even simply using a USB flash drive with ReadyBoost?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

No because external drive or USB flash drive are much, much slower than RAM.
Adding RAM is basically the only option.

It may help for a while if you preform clean Windows installation.
Laptop should have recovery partition if it wasn't removed for whatever reason.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users