Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

firefox trouble

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

So, earlier today I was browsing the internet like normal... multiple tabs open... minimal issues. I closed firefox after a while as I was going to run an update for avast.
I ended up opening up firefox again when CCleaner asked to update. I updated and ran that. Updated avast... rebooted...
Then, back to firefox. Suddenly there's lots of lag. flash crashed. Scrolling through a facebook group caused firefox to freeze multiple times. Thought it was facebook... tried scrolling through google images(first thing I thought of where I'd be able to scroll for a bit) and it didn't show the "not responding" message I was getting while in facebook but it was indeed freezing up a bit and in fact crashed at one point.
Java needed an update... so, I did that. No change. Flash is up to date though I forgot I'm actually running the newest... previously I'd been having a LOT of trouble with facebook games with the newer versions of flash, where flash has its OWN plugin container(s).
Anyway... other than avast updating(which it said updated to make the firefox plugin more STABLE) I don't think I've done anything else prior to the buggyness that could cause firefox to be that way.
when it starts lagging and I go into task manager... it's using up more than 40% of the memory(I have 4gb) with only a couple of firefox tabs open and thunderbird... saw firefox eating up 600+mb of ram a few times while I wasn't really doing anything. CPU usage was bouncing up and down largely from firefox... up to 75% at one point.
I'm certain something is off with firefox... question is, what is it?
I guess I can try disabling the avast plugin and see how it reacts then... and I can reinstall firefox.
Just really odd how the behavior changed so fast. I'll try a few things but figured it wouldn't hurt to post the problem for now. Will update if anything changes.

Edit: Well, it was avast's webrep addon. I disabled it and restarted firefox... went to the facebook groups and to google images and I was able to scroll smoothly without it freezing up at all. Hmmmm... This avast update was supposed to IMPROVE its addon... Grrr... I can live without it. I use web of trust as well and am fairly careful where I go anyway... maybe avast's next update will be better?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 02 November 2012 - 04:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Thank you for letting us know what the outcome was. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 supermaltese

supermaltese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

I'm glad your issue has been resolved, but may I recommend using switching to Google Chrome?

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

hehe... no actually. Well, I know a lot of people like it but I wont use chrome for a few reasons...
#1 I have a LITTLE bit of OCD and do NOT like change. I've been using firefox for quite a few years now and it is what I am comfortable with...
And, I like firefox already.
#2 Google already OWNS tooooooooo much of my life.
I believe Google is trying to take over the world... not even sure I should say 'trying'
They dominate the map/satellite industry... search engine, email, advertising, video(youtube), and a LOT more. They are slowly taking over ALL things internet... and I do NOT like that.
Not to mention they save every last scrap of data they possibly can. Why worry about the government when google is the REAL big brother. HA
I know, that's a bid paranoid and perhaps just a tad exaggerated..
But just the same, I'm not in a rush to jump over to chrome. I don't NEED it so I'll get by with firefox. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users