Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Sharing woes... Between XP and Windows 7 NEITHER will work.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Djimbe

Djimbe

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Okay, so Ive been at this 9 hours now and Ive tried eveything I can think of, but I CANNOT get an ICS to work. I live in the boonies, and a neighbor is nice enough to leave his Broadband router open for me. No Problem, right? EXCEPT that I have to sit in ONE little corner of the property that Im in and not move to use my pewt, and the fact is Im not a tele guy. So I have an ALFA USB Antenna to reach out and grab his signal with a 9db antenna, and I can do about 36 on a good day, wich is JUST enough to be able to sputter through youtube vids, badly play most online games, and die laggy deaths only every once in a while.

The problem is that I have literally MOVED to this spot. I sleep here more often than not, I eat here, its getting rediculous. So I THOUGHT that if I could use an old Box and just sit it here using the Wireless connections as basically a really expensive repeater then I would be the boss! I could move back into human creature comforts! However this has yet to become possible. i DO ALL THE THINGS, I do the CORRECTLY, then it tells me something about "the specified service doesnt exist as an installed service" ... SO VERY ANNOYING ... Thats what I get when I go into the ICS portion of the advanced tab BTW... domt know what else to do...

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2012 - 03:20 PM.
Moved from XP to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Well...can you describe the problem?

I don't see much about XP or Win 7 or connection issue situations in the words that you have posted thus far.

Onscreen error messages...when...on which system?

I dual-boot 3 computers with XP/Win 7 and I understand your frustration if you are trying to make sense of MS guidance...but we need something more definitive for us to work with than what you have given us, IMO.

Setting up a Windows XP home network - http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

Once the XP network is set up properly...it's pretty easy to go through what must be done in Win 7.

Louis

I note that you mention ICS...just forget about that, it's networking that you want to focus on.

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#3 Djimbe

Djimbe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Okay, the problem is like, basically I cant get either of the machines to be the ICS host. No matter how many times I try it tells me there is an error and to close the wizard. Perhaps Ill dig out my Vista box and see if that will work...

#4 Djimbe

Djimbe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

the error is: "the specified service doesnt exist as an installed service"

it happens on both machines.

Edited by Djimbe, 02 November 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

Do you mean you want to share a wireless connection from your other computer(which is positioned with good signal from your neighbor's home network) to another computer in your house? That's why you want to use ICS?

Tekken

#6 Djimbe

Djimbe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

yes sir.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

You would need to have both computers with wireless capabilities to do this. The best alternative method other than ICS for windows is http://www.connectify.me/

Tekken

#8 Djimbe

Djimbe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Oh they all have Wireless Capabilities, and Ive been trying that, Its just not working out so well. When looking through InDDISer I can see the Ad-Hoc, and its not GREAT but its -68 to -73db at any time, and i SHOULD be able to get a Signal and yet it never wants to crack in for me. its wierd, man Ive even tried switching up computers, Ive used an External plug in Wifi card from Linksys... Theres been a whole cuircus here , Im Juggling and Struggling.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I think you should not use ICS or adhoc and let Connectify control over this. If I remember correctly, don't use the adhoc feature of Connectify to share internet connection but instead use the laptop adapter from the drop down list. If the source of your host laptop is through a wireless adapter, specify it from the settings also.

Tekken

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Remember to use ics you need two separate network devices. Meaning the computer you want to use as the ics host woul need two wireless network adapters installed. The other option to get around this limitation is to use some virtual router software on the repeater box.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#11 Djimbe

Djimbe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

BB:
I have an External ALFA wireless and the card that came in my system, so Im covered on that score.

#12 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

Have you check in services.msc to see thatbics is listed there?? Is it set to run automatically???
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users